2 month Keto breakdown using body scan data

Options
qweck3
qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
edited September 2018 in Social Groups
I wanted to share some information on how Keto impacts the body using data from a facility that does body scans. It’s critical to understand what exactly you are losing while on Keto or very low carb. Is it fat (good thing) or are you losing lean mass (bad thing)? The scale at home cannot tell you this.

Numbers Breakdown:

I completed my Pre-Keto scan on 6/23. Important numbers showed 255.8 total pounds with a body fat percentage of 36.95%. Fat pounds were 94.5 and lean mass pounds were 161.3. As the month went along I followed strict Keto with macros of 5% carb, 70% fat and 25% protein. Slowly weight came off over the month and I showed around 7 pounds down for the month. Good success right!?!?

On 7/28 I go for my 1 month on Keto scan expecting to see that major changes had happened. Big surprise and it wasn’t good! Sure, my weight had dropped down to 248.9 but my fat pounds had actually gone up 0.3 while I had lost a huge 7.2 pounds of lean mass! To make it worst my Body Fat Percent was now 38.09%. OUCH and not good!

I quickly realized that I had been taking in way too much fat and not enough protein the past month. I immediately adjusted my macros: 5% carbs were maintained, fats were dropped to 50% and protein was upped to 45%. I also dropped my calorie intake a bit as protein just made me feel fuller vs eating more fats. Over the next month I just felt stronger, saw muscles building and I could tell the clothes were better fitting without the need for a scale.

On 9/1 I get my next scan done now on Keto for 2+ months. Big improvement! Weight was down 4 pounds net to 244.9 from 248.9 but the eye opener and success were in the real numbers. Fat pounds had dropped from 94.8 to 81.2 which was a 13.6 pound loss in 1 month while at the same time my lean mass had improved from 154.1 to 163.7 for a 9.6 pound gain giving me back what I had lost the previous month with a little extra added! That’s a swing of 23.2 pounds in 1 month as I was simply replacing fat with lean mass which I am happy about.

Finally, I did a follow up RMR test on 9/1 after having an initial test on 6/23. This test shows your baseline calories burned at rest. My body now burns fat at 77% fat and 23% sugar which is a huge swing since my last test. The rep even said: you must be on Keto because that is the only way you are hitting 77%. She confirmed that my result show I am totally fat adapted and in constant Ketosis.

The best part about all of this is that even with the higher protein and now an increased carb % (bringing this up slowly) my blood sugars continue to go down with an average of 102 over the last 2.5 months while not being on any medicines after years on the pills.

I’ve attached images of my reports for reference. I hope this helps a bit with understanding the impact of this lifestyle.

Replies

• zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sweet!
    Thank you for sharing
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    So interesting! Now I know why my body wants protein but doesn't care about fat.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this :-)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing the data. Is there any exercise involved in your daily routine such as lifting, running, HIIT?
  • qweck3
    Options
    @PaulaKro My body was also screaming for protein that first month but I believed the nonsense of it kicking you out of Ketosis. Not true at all. If anything the upped protein has made Ketosis be constant and now my body is using my actual fat in incredibly efficient ways. It's so important for the health of our body to put the proper protein levels in it.

@kpk54 For the past two months I've had a routine of Regular Power Yoga 2-3 times per week while working with a Crossfit Coach once per week which is heavy on lifting that day as the skill development with HIIT type workouts for the workout of the day. The coach has also been monitoring these results with me monthly and helping me to make the proper nutrition choices. It took him all of 5 seconds to look at the July report to say get your protein way up and drop the fat and he was right.

The scan on 10/1 will be the most interesting one as I'll have a few changes I'm making. I'm adjusting to around 10-15% net carbs/40-45% fat/45% protein with my workouts adjusting to Hot Power Yoga 2-3 times per week(much more intense Yoga) and 2 Crossfit workouts a week instead of 1.

I just wanted to share this important data so folks don't feel defeated if they only see 3 pounds in a month. Truth is you could be killing it packing on great lean mass while losing amazing amounts of fat at the same time. That is the ultimate win right there in my view at least. These scans cost all of 5 bucks a month/54 a year in Orlando where I live. The more advanced scans like RMR can be got on groupon for a reasonable price.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    What are these scans called and where do you get them?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply @qweck3. It will be interesting to watch your progress and I do appreciate your sharing of the information. Though I don't engage in formal exercise I've always been an advocate of movement. #1) It seems our bodies were designed to move and #2) regardless of the ongoing debates of what is the "best diet" (vegan to carnivore and everything in between) or macro composition of a "best diet" I have never, ever, ever read that for the physically capable, it is proven beneficial to be sedentary.

That's not a rant. :) It is just me reminding myself that despite "whatever", it is beneficial for my old self to consider both my food intake AND keep moving for optimal health. I've been maintaining my weight loss for 4+ years but that doesn't mean I'm at my best optimal health.

You have a great mix of exercise.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Ive been saying this for over 2 years based on my personal experience with the restricted protein and added fat version of keto.
    I didn’t have actual data to back it up. Just these photos that showed I lost 25 pounds but not much fat. Then I doubled protein and reduced fat after that second photo and everything changed. For the better. Even though I stopped losing weight 10-15 pounds from my goal.
    This is how Jimmy Moore has ended up where he is now having gained all his weight back.
    cd35lt3v0ap9.jpeg
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    qweck3 wrote: »
    I just wanted to share this important data so folks don't feel defeated if they only see 3 pounds in a month. Truth is you could be killing it packing on great lean mass while losing amazing amounts of fat at the same time.
    I've started serious exercise last week and was expecting the pounds to fall off, but instead I gained weight! It was a disappointment but I'm trying to convince myself it was probably a good change (from fat to muscle) and to appreciate it instead. I need to stop thinking in poundage!

• qweck3
    Options
    @kpk54 Honestly a lot of this is just the diet. The exercising for me is more intended to keep the diabetes under control because I refuse to take pills and in a strange way I actually like fitness. I like the lower heart rate I get with it, faster recovery when the HR goes way up and all in all I just sleep better.

@fdhunt1 Search for Dexa-Fit or Fit 3D. There are other companies out there as well. Not advocating in any way for these companies but I do think it is important to dive deeper than the traditional scale now and then.

@Sunny_Bunny_ That is incredible progress and amazing discipline to stay the course over 3 years!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    When I look at diaries, I know my protein is consistently higher than most people with open diaries. My goal is 30%, and I (almost) always meet that. I come under on the calories for the day because I don't eat all my fat grams. Actual consumed macros for today were 1% Carbs, 55% Fats and 44% Protein. Maybe I need to set my protein goal higher so that I am shooting for something like this and not just ending up there?
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ Love your progress pics. :bigsmile:
  • Kerschel
    Kerschel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ me too. Love your progress. So interesting that your weight is stable, but clearly NOT your fat. So, if I get this right, you lowered FAT intake and hiked your protein. To what, may I ask? Do you do muscle building workouts as well? Great progress. Inspirational!
  • PaulaKro
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @Suuny_Bunny_ I've been losing 1-2 pounds per week since starting Keto in May. I am only ten pounds away from goal but I've stopped losing and have gained back two pounds. At the same time, my clothes are looser (no smart phone = no selfies). Plus I've been working out a lot the last week.

I suspect it may be the same thing you described; it helps a lot knowing this can happen.

My body seems to be saying, "This is it, you're healthy here. Settle in. Be content." And it feels good. If I drop another 5-10, fine. If not, fine... Life is good.

Thank you.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Kerschel wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ me too. Love your progress. So interesting that your weight is stable, but clearly NOT your fat. So, if I get this right, you lowered FAT intake and hiked your protein. To what, may I ask? Do you do muscle building workouts as well? Great progress. Inspirational!

I started keto trying follow the “ratios” that I had learned. Either 75/20/5 or 80/15/5 for fat/protein/carbs. I was told in certain keto circles that women only need between 50-70g of protein a day if they aren’t lifting heavy. I generally stayed around 60-70g though I basically thought 60 was better and aimed to not go “too high”.
    I was eating fat bombs, drinking BPC and adding butter to everything trying to get very high fat.
    Then I learned that wasn’t necessary and was actually counter productive to my fat loss goal. Though I was convinced it was perfect since I had lost 25 pounds doing it.
    I respected the people and information that told me different. They were people in this group. This group is where I got the best, most accurate information. I trusted it and stopped adding all that fat and started aiming for about 100g protein or more based on 1g per pound of lean mass.
    I tried different things for exercise along the way but never stuck to it.
    I ended up carnivore as of April 2016 but the changes started happening with just the addition of more protein and reduction of fat. Carnivore has helped me with IBS.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »
    @Suuny_Bunny_ I've been losing 1-2 pounds per week since starting Keto in May. I am only ten pounds away from goal but I've stopped losing and have gained back two pounds. At the same time, my clothes are looser (no smart phone = no selfies). Plus I've been working out a lot the last week.

I suspect it may be the same thing you described; it helps a lot knowing this can happen.

My body seems to be saying, "This is it, you're healthy here. Settle in. Be content." And it feels good. If I drop another 5-10, fine. If not, fine... Life is good.

Thank you.

That’s exactly what I think happens. That number we think is our ideal weight isn’t necessarily what our body is healthiest at.