OT - coins and stamps

Options
Philtex
Philtex Posts: 912 Member
WAY off-topic.......we have a collection of coins and a collection of stamps, neither of which is properly stored or organized. No idea if there is any real value here or not. Anyone know how to find a fair way to get them valued and sold? We have never sold on e-bay and would like to sell the collections whole rather than item by item. I googled stamp dealers and found a couple trade organizations but would rather go off someone's actual experience. Thanks in advance for any input.

Replies

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't know as much about stamps. On the coins, though, prepare to be disappointed. Our experience selling some coins my Dad had collected brought us much less than we had been led to believe they were worth. Also, if you are selling the collections 'whole' serious traders will likely assume you have no real idea of what you've got. So if there are any true valuable pieces in there you're likely to be taken advantage of.
  • Philtex
    Options
    Thanks Steve.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,242 Member
    Options
    It likely would be worth your time to seek out a coin/stamp store and have the value evaluated by a professional. Plus, you'll learn things about what you have. Steve is right, though - be prepared to be disappointed.
  • Philtex
    Options
    You mean we won't get rich off this? Ah heck! ;)