Headphones?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I have been swimming for a few years now, which was a bit of a decision made for me by my dr, used to be a runner, but running is off limits. I always enjoyed swimming at sea, but it took a while to adapt to laps. While I have come to enjoy it, now that the novelty is wearing off, I realise one of the things I miss about running is the music. I always jogged with music and I really miss this, it was a way to relax while exercising.
Does anyone listen to music while swimming laps and if yes what would you recommend? I was thinking about bone conduction headphone, but I have not met anyone in real life who has used them and they are not cheap.

Replies

• skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Hi! New on this group, and relatively new to swimming. I have hearing problems and found the noise of the music, children shouting and my own breathing distracting. I've bought an i360 mp3 player. Worn under my swim cap it's secure, loud enough even for my hearing, and at 4gb plenty big enough for an hour's swim...
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I use an iPod shuffle from Audioflood (they waterproof them). I LOVE it. I too, found that I missed music and scenery of running. The first day I swam with music, it added about 20 minutes to my swim. It took a little getting used to, and I recently found out that the "trees" that fit onto the earbuds can finally stretch, bend, and in general get wonky, so replacing them every 6 months or so makes for a better fit. I always carried extras because I have lost them and then not had music. It's taken away the other distracting pool noises, including my own breathing.

@AquaticQuests uses a Finis bone conduction unit, I believe, but he's not been around for a little while. The nice thing about bone conduction is that you don't have to worry about leaks and water getting in your ear, thus cutting off the sound.

And welcome! From an every-now-and-then-trail runner to now-mostly swimmer ;)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Once in a while I consider something like this. But i can't in a crowded China pool. Maybe when I get a job that ends the China travel.
    But then my problem would be creating 6 hour long play lists of near constant primary or secondary beat.
    I listen to music at work too drown out the noise of the Spying accessible open work area.
    But when swimming I tend to treat it more as a long meditation.
    One thing I know I won't try is anything from Apple. Not a can of the way they lock in customers.
    Headphones that double as ear plugs can be a benefit.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Abit late in the day but as @girlwithcurls2 I'm a fan of bone conduction. I'll try and revive an old post on this.
    I've always had problems with earphones staying in my ears on land let alone in the pool. Also because I dont wear a swim cap it would make it harder for them to stay in.
    Got a finis Neptune Neptune second hand. Lasted me a few years.
    This week I decided to get be of the newer cheaper bone conduction products that have hit the market instead of the pricier finis duo!

So I just got the tayogo! Done 2 swims with it so far and it seems to be working great. Nice and loud, and has radio too for those interested in that! Sounds better than my old Neptune I think.

So so far so good! Will see how it lasts - have heard they have a somewhat high failure rate!

I love bone conduction for music which is what I listen to when swimming, but if you're not a vigorous swimmer, and you prefer to listen to audiobooks, then you may prefer the clarity of acoustic earphones as opposed to bone conduction.

At almost half the price of the finis product, if this thing lasts it will have been a great buy!