Giving this a go

Hey all, good to join here.

I’ve always pretty much been low carb in the sense of my diet, but I haven’t followed Keto and paid attention to macros. This will be my first time really pinning down a calorie and percentage goal.

Looking forward to starting this, and off to the grocery store to stock up!

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2018
    Good luck! Keto is excellent for most people in regards to suppressing hunger and cravings. I trialed it for only 52 weeks for a reason other than weight management and learned that for me, fat is satiating and I had been too "old school" on my avoidance of fat.

I too am a long term low carber (5 years). Low carb of about 128 carb grams per day (and a calorie deficit) is how I lost my excess 60 pounds.

One unsolicited suggestion I have that may or may not be relevant to you is at least initially, use a food scale. The visual of food on my plate was a real adjustment from low carb to LCHF/Keto. Low carb during weight loss, I had a plate FULL of low carb/low cal vegetables and easily stayed in a deficit or at maintenance calories (later on). Comparatively, keto food portions are tiny, tiny, tiny.

Though I don't eat keto any longer (or weigh and measure all my foods), my 52 keto weeks were an excellent lesson in portion control. I do randomly weigh some stuff now becasue those big portions have a way of creeping back with delicious fatty foods. At least for me.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Low carb was kind of easy for me. I never use sugar and really only had to cut bread & potatoes. I did need to up my fat intake. It took awhile to get use to saturated fat being good for me.