Buying equipment tomorrow - quick question

Options
phieaglefan
phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
Hi all,

I got NROLFW from the library, then ordered a copy. I plan to start as soon as I have my equipment purchased. I found the weight bench and rack that I want. I plan to go tomorrow morning to make my purchases. My question pertains to the bar.

Everything I have seen says to use an Olympic bar, which I gather is heavier than a standard bar? Are there other differences? I'm a newbie, and I'm old, but not a wimp. I'm 5'9" and weigh 154 currently, and 52 years old. Should I buy an Olympic Bar and not a Standard bar? If so, why?

Thanks for any guidance! Can't wait to start!

H

Replies

• RRRobynnn
    RRRobynnn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I started I bought a barbell, dumbells and some weight plates from Walmart. It's nothing fancy and is NOT an Olympic bar. (The bar only weighs 6lbs). It was great for me as a beginner as it allowed a lot of flexibility to start with some fairly low weights. I'm now on Stage 4 and always have at least 60lbs on the bar all the times, so an Olympic bar would be fine now. I like that all of my weights are interchangeable (can be used on both the dumbells or barbell). It saves a lot of room in my small workout area.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Robyn,

Thanks for your input. It sounds like I could get away with a standard bar, at least for a while.

Love your avatar pic!

H
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    My bar only weighs 10 lbs. It was nice to have when I was learning the moves. I could practice with a bar and just get my form right without worrying about a huge, heavy olympic bar. I'm in Stage 3 and it's still getting the job done. I think it can hold up to 200 lbs so I'm good for awhile. It's also shorter and fits nicely in my living room.