Carb (in)tolerance and staying in Ketosis

Options
zanyterp
zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
I’ve been trying to figure out the best macro ratio for me and have come across several differing opinions on the carb value. For those of you who are able to maintain Ketosis with carbs at >= 25g, was this something that came naturally as you progressed through fat adaptation OR was it something you were able to do immediately?
And, for those who are in maintenance, has your carb value increased?

Replies

• chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    To be honest I don't measure anything. I just know that if my carbs are low my body will be burning fat and not carbs for energy as I'm not giving it the carbs! I work with net carbs so usually I'm below 25 but if I want to eat something new then I'll check the carbs. I didn't gradually reduce to there I went straight for it. Every one is different though and some people can loose weight and maintain on higher numbers of carbs. For me I can't and retain water weight immediately I have more carbs and then I gain! I think that you're going to get a real spread of experiences here!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I tried increasing carbs at maintenance but it was a mistake for me. Carbs increase my appetite and cravings so I regained almost half the weight I lost a few years ago. I was eating too much, and waaaaay too many carbs - not good for my insulin resistance which was why I started keto in the first place. It also allowed my arthritis to start progressing again, or at least it feels that way. My joints are worse.

Now I eat almost zero carb, mainly for my joints. The weight is falling off again. I try to go by appetite so I assume my appetite will increase somewhat once I hit a good weight. I won't be increasing carbs again though. Maybe just a handful of treats where the taste might be worth more pain for while.

Some increase carbs very successfully in maintenance. Some don't. It's pretty individual. I know what foods lead to weight gain for me, so I need to eat with that in mind. I'll continue with almost zero carb for the foreseeable future, including maintenance.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have increased my beer carbs a bit. Corona Premier is a new beer with 2.6g of carb per bottle. It would be even better if it tasted like beer.
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I started out by just reducing my carbs before I did Keto. I did that for about 3 weeks so it was a slow transition for me. I try to stay under 20g but some days I’ll hit close to 30.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    thank you for all your inputs
  • janra01
    janra01 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also started reducing carbs before keto, so no keto flu. I have a lot of weoght to lose so I recalculate macros every 10 or 15 lbs I lose. I'm down to 15 (net) now but I've lost 50 lbs in 6 months and I'm a little looser with the net carbs. Meaning I wouldn't never use net carb calculation at first but now I do. I agree about being hungrier when you eat them. Just don't wanna. I still have over 60 lbs to lose and I want to get there sooner rather than later.