Want to start, need to buy equipment

Options
scubaemma
scubaemma Posts: 30 Member
Hi all,

I'm pretty new here but have just bought the book and am keen to get started! I've realised I definitely need to invest in some equipment if I'm going to be doing this at home (which I will have to).
I'm just trying to work out what I need to buy?

A barbell (does it need to be Olympic size?)
A squat rack for the barbell
Weights to go on it (some are sold with 50kg of weights and some with 100kg or more - which should I get?)
An adjustable seat/bench thing

And will also try and get hold of a Swiss ball and some kind of 'step'.

I'm hoping I can use my husbands old dumbbells.

Is this right? Any thoughts?

If you need any info about me, I'm a 34 year old female, have lost just over 10kg, currently weigh around 73kg and would like to weigh around 65kg. I'm a Brit but live in Brisbane, Australia (married to an Aussie) and I'm a Detective, so I work shift work.
Thanks, Emma

Replies

• phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I posted almost the identical question a day or so ago. My biggest concern was whether I needed an Olympic bar. I had two women respond that they had standard size bars, and did not regret starting with that. So that's what I bought. Perhaps if I were 22 instead of 52, I might have chosen the Olympic bar.

I just purchased my bench, rack, bar and weights yesterday. The weight set I bought has plates that are interchangeable with dumbbell handles. So I can use the plates on either. Seemed like a good idea. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is a step.

Can't wait to start.
  • scubaemma
    scubaemma Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did prettÿ much exactly the same in the end!

Yesterday I bought a standard bar and some weights, and also a squat rack! The big buff scary looking guys in the shop looked very intimidating but were actually really lovely and helpful. And even gave me a Police discount :-)

I did my first workout this morning! Jeez, it was hard! I possibly had my weights borderline too heavy, but I just about managed to complete the sets so maybe it was just right. It was certainly a hard workout.

Who knew lifting could make you so sweaty and out of breath?!

Feeling great and motivated and can't wait till my second workout! Although I'm expecting to be sore.........