Forget carb count on endurance athlete days

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
I learned the hard way that I have to forget about the carb metric on my personal endurance swim challenge days.
I have to keep a squeeze bottle of honey at the pool side.
My heart rate stayed erratic for 3 hours after I did 13.2km.
When I added the honey to fuel during swimming, my heart rate normalized very quickly after doing 16.06km.

Anyone else have similar experience?

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've read it can take a while to get fat adapted for some endurance athletes. How long are these swims? Even low carb you should have enough muscle and liver glycogen to keep you moving at cardio threshold for 90 minutes.

Are you measuring blood glucose and blood ketones? Are you on any meds that might affect blood glucose?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You would be better off just using glucose tablets if you are going to use carbs during your sport. Honey is 45% fructose which provides no benefit of energy and is only damaging.
    You’re basically taking extra sugar for no reason that must be filtered out by your liver.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Also, do you know about your increased need for sodium and how that can affect your energy levels?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    The fructose/glucose content of honey varies greatly by region and flowers used to create it.

Bee spit is delicious!

Maple syrup is 100% sucrose and might work better.

As for me, no, as long as I keep salt levels up, I don't have any issues with hours of activity and no food (including no carbs). But I've been keto almost a year, and was LCHF for several years prior to keto.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    My issue was that even taking in electrolyte replacement, once I went beyond a 10km swim, my heart rate would be erratic for 2 to 3 hours afterward.
    I'm in China at the moment so very limited sources. So I tried honey And it worked. Flower based.
    When I get home I'll order some EFS to bring in the next trip and have around for my longer swim challenges.
    17.6km on Saturday to me 6:25:37. Felt fine afterward and was still able to go to the archery range with friends 2 hours after I was done.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Also, do you know about your increased need for sodium and how that can affect your energy levels?

I use electrolyte replacement while I'm swimming. Water with Propel powder added.