Living the Lifestyle - Tuesday Sept. 18

savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - savignr (Bob)
Wednesday - 88olds (George)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's topic - Chow time

Does when you eat make a difference to you? Do you eat when you are hungry, or does the clock dictate your meal times? Do you allocate "standard" points or calories to each meal? Are snacks a daily occurrence in your plan, or are they more or less random?

Alternate question of the day - Favorite Classic Rock song ever?

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    For me, I have a very strong preference to eat on a fixed schedule. I generally do not eat breakfast, and lunch is usually within 30 minutes of noon. Dinner becomes an issue, as DW does not leave the office until 7, and I like a family meal, so my cooking is usually planned around 7:30. This is a long gap for me, so it typically drives a snack at about 4. The snack is usually protein - deli meats, cheese, peanut butter.

Lunch is typically 600 - 800 calories for me. Snack about 200 - 300, depending on level of hunger. I am trying to hang out at 2000 per day, so the rest is spent on dinner. Not a big snacker in the evening, as we eat so late, so that's my daily total.

Alternate question - Big Bob Seeger fan, so flip a coin between "Like a Rock" and "Old Time Rock and Roll".
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,525 Member
    Does when you eat make a difference to you? Do you eat when you are hungry, or does the clock dictate your meal times?

I eat 3 meals per day, 3-4 snacks. I try not to let myself get too hungry. I find that leads to unhelpful choices.

Do you allocate "standard" points or calories to each meal?

My meals all seem to work out to be about 400-500 calories. Not by design though. Just how it’s worked out.

Are snacks a daily occurrence in your plan, or are they more or less random?

Planned daily. Sometimes an extra will sneak in.

Alternate: Johnny B. Goode

If we ever replace the national anthem, I think we should consider it.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,587 Member
    Today's topic - Chow time

Does when you eat make a difference to you? Do you eat when you are hungry, or does the clock dictate your meal times?
    I kinds clock it, but it can depend on what's going on. Rainy day today, so ate right after arising. Friday (weigh-in day) After meeting, often eating a "brunch", so more points for the evening. (date night).
    No.
    Just about always. From apples, Fiber One bars, FF Greek yogurt w/fruit, or off the rails w/peanuts, chips, etc. with beer.

Alternate question of the day - Favorite Classic Rock song ever? IN A GADDA DA VIDA by Iron Butterfly. First "heavy Metal song, per Alice Cooper.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,696 Member

I think life tends to dictate meal time. I make breakfast for DW before she leaves for work, so we eat at 6:30am. I make dinner based on when she gets home, so around 6:30 to 7:00. Lunch is in the middle since I start getting too hungry by 1:00.

Favorite Classic Rock song: I don't know if I have an absolute favorite but I just listened to "Riders On The Storm" by the Doors and that always hits the spot.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,549 Member
    I am pretty flexible with mealtime. However, during the work week, I get legit hungry about the time I leave work (3pm - 4pm). This has led to some outright stupid decisions. So, I have to be very conscious of, and plan for, this timeframe.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited September 2018
    Meal times when I was younger were dictated by when my lunch hour was at school as well as a rigid dinner time at home because of my father's work schedule.

I eventually evolved to usually eat when hungry. I don't typically eat large meals, rather I have several smaller ones and some snacks. Eating this way presents a problem when social events are late in the evening, for example an evening wedding where the meal isn't served until after 9pm. By that time I'm completely ravenous and make bad decisions. Fortunately there aren't many of these type of social events in my life.

Favorite Classic Rock song: "Keep Pushin' On" by REO Speedwagon
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,197 Member

Does when you eat make a difference to you?

Yes but it didn't use to. Now I'd lunch is to late I over eat or grab the wrong thing.

Do you eat when you are hungry, or does the clock dictate your meal times?

In the last couple of years I've noticed that eating in schedule is better for me.
    Work schedule regularly interferes with my eating habits.

Do you allocate "standard" points or calories to each meal? Are snacks a daily occurrence in your plan, or are they more or less random?)

I'm on 1800 calories for now. and do my best to adhere to that but again very hard If you don't track each meal carefully. Breakfast is the least calories lunch next and mostly super is the most. Although my dietitian had rather my lunch meal be the largest. IDW and I try to sit down for dinner before or by 7 pm.

I love all kind of music and hard to think of a special favorite right now.

SW 400.8
    CW 345.2😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

55.6 lbs Total Loss
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,829 Member
    I usually eat breakfast around 9-10 am. Lunch mid afternoon and dinner around 6. This keeps me from snacking to much at night.
    As for calories I do ok if I don't have a couple of beers and eat out of a bag/box and not track.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member

Pre WW, I was more of fixed-time eater--not entirely but most often. After being on WW and trying to dig into what was driving me to eat, I realized I was responding to the typical eating times more than "hunger". So, I made a deliberate point of trying to be more aware of whether or not I really needed to satisfy that hunger. These days, If it's not there, I usually don't eat.

Not typically because I mix my foods up quite a bit. While routine can make LTL easier in some respects, I know I can get bored with the same thing over and over. Boredom leads to straying for me and that becomes one of my slippery slopes. So I track what I eat, when I eat it.

Snacks are almost always part of my plan, but they too are somewhat random, depending on what's on-hand.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,154 Member
    It is useful to me to eat several times in a day. I have heard of folks who eat just once a day but pretty rare I think. I don't just eat when hungry as I am not normally all that hungry. I eat a late morning "brunch time" meal and an early lunch. Sometimes the two can even run together and I just eat a brunch. I have a snack in afternoon but not on a pre-planned time schedule. I like eating a rather early dinner but DW does not so we usually eat around 7 pm but it varies. I eat much smaller amounts of points for breakfast/brunch and lunch than for dinner. Dinner is my biggest meal for sure. My afternoon snack is modest.
    I don't think my timing varies all that much most days but if I eat out late with friends that's ok too.

Timing does have some importance as you realize when traveling overseas. A good example of how to minimize jetlag is to start eating at a different time that is closer to what you would be eating overseas. There is a jet lag "diet" called the Argonne anti-jet lag diet that involves changing eating times and amouints including some lengthier fasting times.