A Lesson In "Water Weight"

Options
ntede3
ntede3 Posts: 17 Member
Tuesday morning, I weighed 135.7

From Tuesday sundown to Wednesday sundown, I fasted in observance of Yom Kippur. No eating OR drinking.

Thursday (this morning), I weighed in at 133.7, exactly 2 lb weight drop in 48 hrs. (It was probably more, but I ate sugary and salty food at breakfast, and drank a liter of water, very little of which I peed out before morning.)

I have never had such a clear example of a weight fluctuation due to dehydration and wanted to share - I certainly didn't lose 2 lbs in 48 hrs!! Water weight is a thing, ladies!! Don't take small fluctuations, either down OR up, too seriously.

Best wishes to all!

Replies

• JocylinAnthony
    JocylinAnthony Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I noticed how I retain water as well. I usually didn't drink more than two plastic water bottles (so around 16oz each) a day unless it was a workout day when I'll drink another after a workout.

But recently I moved and I'm about 40 minutes away from a gym (I did weight lifting) so I don't workout anymore, maybe twice a month and even then it's just a little cardio at home.

Well since I was no longer working out, I no longer drank as much water. One day in July, I wanted to donate blood. I went, did the tests, passed everything and then came time to put the needle in my arm. Apparently, I don't drink enough water🙃 Only a few drops came out before my body refused to let it go through the needle. They told me to drink about 4 more bottles of water a day and come back tomorrow.

That stuck with me every since July. It's now October and I have been drinking over 60oz a day. At the end of July, I noticed I looked "fatter" especially in my stomach. So, I cut down on my calorie intake since I don't really exercise these days.

Each month, it was like I was just getting bigger and bigger. Even when I kept lowering my calorie intake to an almost unhealthy amount. And now, thanks to your post, I finally realize that I'm an idiot. It's definitely the amount of water I drink. Especially since I was cutting down on my calories, I was upping the amount of water I drank to the point where I was drinking nearly a full gallon a day.

Thank you for this revelation, I think I'll lower my water intake back to 60oz and try to do cardio at least once a week until I can set a pace and then I can begin to increase the amount.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    That's so true. Last week I weighed myself at night after dinner (ummmm what was I thinking?!) and I was 124. Literally the next morning--a matter of hours--I was 121. Trying to really focus on how my clothes fit rather than the scale these days.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    That stuck with me every since July. It's now October and I have been drinking over 60oz a day. At the end of July, I noticed I looked "fatter" especially in my stomach. So, I cut down on my calorie intake since I don't really exercise these days.

Each month, it was like I was just getting bigger and bigger. Even when I kept lowering my calorie intake to an almost unhealthy amount. And now, thanks to your post, I finally realize that I'm an idiot. It's definitely the amount of water I drink. Especially since I was cutting down on my calories, I was upping the amount of water I drank to the point where I was drinking nearly a full gallon a day.

Thank you for this revelation, I think I'll lower my water intake back to 60oz and try to do cardio at least once a week until I can set a pace and then I can begin to increase the amount.

Drinking less water will not reduce water weight. In fact, drinking more water is good. Water weight has a number of causes, such as sodium, sugar, alcohol, hormones. Be mindful of how much sodium, sugar & alcohol you consume, and learn to recognise weight fluctuations that are part of your natural cycle. E.g.: The 5 or so days before shark week I start bloating. About 2-4 days in to shark week I go back to normal again. If I go out for a meal or have a takeaway I am up 2lbs easily the next day, just because of the sodium content in restaurant food.

Also remember that longer periods of dieting can cause an increase in cortisol (stress hormone), which is a *kitten* for causing water weight.

@DaniJeanine Have a set weigh-in time - ideally early morning after going to the toilet so that your weight reflects your body alone instead of food and fluid intake. I mean, if you weigh yourself after drinking a pint of water you will be up 1lb in weight.