Motivation and Support

Options
countcurt
countcurt Posts: 593 Member
George (88olds) suggested this Message Board awhile back and I've taken to visiting it. Some interesting reads. I do find it interesting that many people 'post and run'. As in, they start a thread with a question or observation, get lots of input but never acknowledge having come back to look at the responses.

Plus, interesting stuff. Like this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10696381/changing-the-theory-of-obesity-planning-for-discovery#latest

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    Wow ! Up front and blunt and true.

It is a shame how people look at you whether you're heavy, disabled or maybe they just don't approve how you look.

If they would just put them selves in that place they would feel differently.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Interesting read and she makes a lot of good points observed from the standpoint of our societal norms rather than what's really healthy. Great examples of the fallacy of "health care" in our country.

That said, I've been unable to shake the perspective of a cardiac anesthetist friend of mine a few years ago. He said 90% of the conditions he sees at a large urban hospital have their origins in obesity and smoking. He suggested if the insurance companies would stop reimbursing for procedures to "patch" these various situations, people might make different lifestyle choices. Pondering that, I've come to believe any type of subsidized insurance ought to include incentives for doing just that.

Wow ! Up front and blunt and true.

It is a shame how people look at you whether you're heavy, disabled or maybe they just don't approve how you look.

If they would just put them selves in that place they would feel differently.

@Jerdtrmndone , I have to say you described me to a T, but it was more the case when I was 80 pounds overweight. I think my perspective had a lot to do with how I felt about myself. Having lost the weight, I find myself much more compassionate than I used to be.

• countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I suspect she's got a lot going on above the neck. Plus, eating disorder.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Your right Steve, it’s a very interesting board. Alarming how many folks are dieting and how many of them are young women. Even more alarming when the young folks post pics showing they are at a healthy BMI while insisting they are fat.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,971 Member
    Options
    Agree about interesting read. While I don't have time to get through the whole article I agree with @countcurt that there is a lot going on above the neck but isn't that true for most overweight people?. Granted there are physical issues or gene issues that play a part in it I'm sure

SW 400.8
    CW 340.0😀
    Next GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

60.8 lbs Total Loss