Water - Electrolytes - Salt - Cramps

Options
PaulaKro
PaulaKro Posts: 5,693 Member
edited September 2018 in Social Groups
I've been getting cramps fairly regularly and have been buying pills, popping salt straight from the shaker, and drinking pickle juice to increase/replace electrolytes; but still my calves and feet are cramping really easily. Sometimes a cramp will completely freeze my foot, and I have to free it by hand!

I was reading another keto'er today and she mentioned the need for not only salt, but also for lots and lots of water. I have a tendency to drink coffee rather than water but will now start hydrating as much as possible (thank goodness keto is good for memory :laugh: ). We'll see if it helps.

But in the meantime, I'd love feedback from anyone with similar experiences!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use a topical magnesium for muscle cramps, it works pretty instantly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Drinking more water also increases your need for salt.
    You really don’t need to drink more than you’re thirsty for.
    Increase the salt even more.
    Aim to get 2tsp a day in addition to salting all food as a minimum. Some people need even more.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    How much magnesium are you getting daily? If you don't know the answer to this, start supplementing. I take a 400 MG tab of magnesium before bed. Most people are deficient in magnesium. A bonus is it also helps you sleep.

• KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I take Potassium and Magnesium daily as i was having the worse calf cramps at night. I haven't had them since I started taking the pills. I also drink 128oz of clear water daily so that helps as well. Hope you find your solution, I know how awful cramping can be... Good luck!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    This is timely. I woke up with a bad cramp in my left calf last night. I have been getting between 4000 and 5000 mg of sodium on the MFP diary recently. In addition, I liberally salt everything and don't attempt to estimate and log that.

Looks for some magnesium...
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,204 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My husband has the same problem, some with leg cramps at night, magnesium helps him.....
  • iceneyes
    iceneyes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also get frequent leg & foot cramps. It seems to happen after days with more than normal walking. I have been gradually increasing salt. I already take magnesium glycinate and occasionally cream of tartar for potassium (I don't do it often as I've read it can be bad for some people).

I'm also a heavy coffee drinker and try to drink a cup of water between each cup of coffee.
  • PaulaKro
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I've ordered a bunch (4 kinds) of pills that say magnesium and potassium and salt and "prevent cramps" and if doesn't create too much of a dose of anything, I'm going to take all of them every day!

@Sunny_bunny_ I measured out 2tsp of salt and it wa a lot! I tried to start eating it but it is awful! Left it out on the counter and the kitten stuck her nose in it, LOL! ...poor silly inquisitive kitten...

Cramps, ugh, ugh, ugh!

• 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    PaulaKro wrote: »

@Sunny_bunny_ I measured out 2tsp of salt and it wa a lot! I tried to start eating it but it is awful! Left it out on the counter and the kitten stuck her nose in it, LOL! ...poor silly inquisitive kitten...

Cramps, ugh, ugh, ugh!

Noooooo kitty!!! :no_mouth:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Thank you everyone, I've ordered a bunch (4 kinds) of pills that say magnesium and potassium and salt and "prevent cramps" and if doesn't create too much of a dose of anything, I'm going to take all of them every day!

Cramps, ugh, ugh, ugh!

Don’t take it all at once.
    Take 1/4 to 1/2 tsp coarse salt several times a day. Just swallow it like a pill
  • Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Increase your potassium intake. I notice I get leg cramps whenever I’m below 1000mg per day. I take at least 3 potassium pills everyday (it’s only 99mg per pill). You should get the rest from your food intake. Avocado, sunflower seeds and pepperoni are great sources of potassium.
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    Increase your potassium intake. I notice I get leg cramps whenever I’m below 1000mg per day. I take at least 3 potassium pills everyday (it’s only 99mg per pill). You should get the rest from your food intake. Avocado, sunflower seeds and pepperoni are great sources of potassium.
    I sneak in a bite of banana once in a blue moon too. (it's worth having almost no other carbs that day!)
  • PaulaKro
    Options

Cramps, ugh, ugh, ugh!

Don’t take it all at once.
    Take 1/4 to 1/2 tsp coarse salt several times a day. Just swallow it like a pill
    I'll try it! It'd be nice to get this figured out. :ohwell:
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Bxqtie116 wrote: »
    I sneak in a bite of banana once in a blue moon too. (it's worth having almost no other carbs that day!)

Just FYI avocado has a lot more potassium than banana.
    oin24mhsxv38.jpeg
    p95cqh3i097e.jpeg

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Even coffee and beef does really well providing potassium and you not only get more of other nutrients from them but you you don’t get a ton of sugar.
    qkqwczs2eil9.jpeg
    z0cwqi6ap5hv.jpeg
  • PaulaKro
    Options
    @Sunny_bunny_ I keep a salt shaker in my desk at work, one of the mini kind, and today I realized that instead of being my go-to stash for salt, that little mini-shaker was a single dose! :laugh: getting new quantities fixed in my brain.

u7p732lu6y0n.png