need help with macros!

idk what im doing wrong but i have been following my macros for about 2 weeks and nothing. ive actually gained weight for some reason. anyone can help me with exactly how many macros and calories i should be consuming? i usually stay under my carbs but i always go over protein by alot. im trying to gain more lean muscle while lossing body fat. i have a physique show coming up in march and i need to start prepping now. can anyone help?!?

Replies

• mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    No one can really tell you how many calories you need, but you should start by using an online calculator to determine your TDEE. The calculators can give you an estimate, but you will learn whether or not it is accurate over time - you may need to adjust it.

For macros, probably aim for...

Protein: 2.2-2.8g per kg TOTAL weight (about 1-1.25g per pound)
    Fats: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.40 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
    Carbs: whatever calories you have leftover not used for protein & fats (based on your TDEE)

If you are preparing for a physique show, you'll probably need to get more detailed than this; this is just the basics. There are probably better sources for show prep.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    No one can really tell you how many calories you need, but you should start by using an online calculator to determine your TDEE. The calculators can give you an estimate, but you will learn whether or not it is accurate over time - you may need to adjust it.

For macros, probably aim for...

Protein: 2.2-2.8g per kg TOTAL weight (about 1-1.25g per pound)
    Fats: 1 - 2g fat/ kg body weight [between 0.40 - 1g total weight/ pounds]
    Carbs: whatever calories you have leftover not used for protein & fats (based on your TDEE)

If you are preparing for a physique show, you'll probably need to get more detailed than this; this is just the basics. There are probably better sources for show prep.

These are the macros outlined in the bodybuilding.com forum sticky, but that amount of protein is unnecessary. Anything over 0.82g per pound of body weight in protein will be used for energy instead of muscle synthesis, so you do not really need more than this amount, although it's perfectly fine if it's preference.
  • mdizzle99
    .82 is pretty specific... every body is different. As you said though, personal preference.
  • AJ_G
    .82 is pretty specific... every body is different. As you said though, personal preference.

Science tends to be pretty specific...

http://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • mdizzle99
    I'm familiar with the articles. I also know that there are contradictory articles and that there will be articles in the future that will also disagree. "Science" is never as exact as we'd like it to be. Studies are even less so.
  • AJ_G
    I'm familiar with the articles. I also know that there are contradictory articles and that there will be articles in the future that will also disagree. "Science" is never as exact as we'd like it to be. Studies are even less so.

Very true, the new scientific evidence is always changing, and higher amount of protein than this can be beneficial, especially when eating at a deficit, but I like to use this as a good minimum goal.
  • mdizzle99
    Well said. I also think it's a good minimum goal.
  • stephaniefiteni
    stephaniefiteni Posts: 48 Member
    Search up IIFYM '' Calculator '' -
    Calculate your TDEE.
    Once done, track this for one week
    Also, do some research on reverse dieting: concept of adding carbs - I started off at 50g and now at 115.
    metabolism and natural fat boosters - such as lemons, pepper etc.