Dirty vs clean Keto

jelleigh
jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
I keep seeng these two designations but dont really know what would constitute 'dirty' keto. If I generally eat healthy nutrient rich foods, but have the odd diet coke or bunless fast foos burger, does that make it dirty keto?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I'm not sure about this either... They're new internet terms as far as I can tell.

I think dirty has more meats and animal products and clean is more plant based. I've also seen where it seems to line up to the more traditional clean definition of very little processed foods.

I eat dirty, by either definition. I'm happy with that. I know my diet is nutrient dense.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    In my understanding I am hearing dirty keto referring to regular cheats and eating processed low carb foods like Atkins bars and such.
    I’ve always seen it being used to describe a half effort or inconsistent effort.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    In my understanding I am hearing dirty keto referring to regular cheats and eating processed low carb foods like Atkins bars and such.
    I’ve always seen it being used to describe a half effort or inconsistent effort.

This is my understanding as well.
  • dangerousdashie
    dangerousdashie Posts: 119 Member
    Dirty keto doesn’t have to do with plant or animals. Meat and veggies are both part of clean keto, especially if the meat is organic and grass fed.

It has to do with synthetic or highly processed ingredients. Like if you eat industrial seed oils or synthetic artificial sweeteners and synthetic preservatives.
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,513 Member
    edited October 2018
    I agree with everyone’s discussion of keto but my opinion, everyones body is different. So whichever kind of keto (diet) works for you.

Personally, I guess LCHF works for me. @sykin thanks for the chart
  • jelleigh
    Hmm thanks everyone. So I guess the big differences between all of these has more to do with nutrition then it would with weight loss?

It's interesting because although I know Keto is still working on the CICO premise, and that initial weight loss is large due to water retention/loss, I also see people posting in their progress relatively high losses on a consistent basis. Like, on other boards it seems that people are doing well to be consistently loosing 1 or maybe 2 lbs, but it seems like I see people here losing closer to 3 lbs consistently a week. Is this just my imagination? Or do people lose quicker on Keto simply because less food/calories is comparatively more satiating than other WOE, and so their deficit can be larger? I know the goal is to be fat adapted, but arguably your body is burning the fat that you are eating, and only tapping into fat stores for the 'deficit' portion of your calorie needs. Any thoughts or insights on whether Keto actually is comparatively faster than other approaches?
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,513 Member
    @jelleigh, I actually know people who have lost large amounts of weight being strict with keto. In my case, I switched to keto. I dropped from 50 percent carbs to 20 percent, like I said in a previous post, I’m VERY close to maintenance. One advantage of keto it helps my craves for sweets.

Also I have large workouts so I need some carbs plus keeping my protein intake higher helps.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    jelleigh wrote: »
    Hmm thanks everyone. So I guess the big differences between all of these has more to do with nutrition then it would with weight loss?

It's interesting because although I know Keto is still working on the CICO premise, and that initial weight loss is large due to water retention/loss, I also see people posting in their progress relatively high losses on a consistent basis. Like, on other boards it seems that people are doing well to be consistently loosing 1 or maybe 2 lbs, but it seems like I see people here losing closer to 3 lbs consistently a week. Is this just my imagination? Or do people lose quicker on Keto simply because less food/calories is comparatively more satiating than other WOE, and so their deficit can be larger? I know the goal is to be fat adapted, but arguably your body is burning the fat that you are eating, and only tapping into fat stores for the 'deficit' portion of your calorie needs. Any thoughts or insights on whether Keto actually is comparatively faster than other approaches?

Yeah well... lots of those people are eating a toddler sized portion of protein and losing muscle thinking they’re losing fat.
    There’s rampant “less protein is even better” thinking in many keto circles. I’ve come across countless women eating barely 40g of protein a day for months and months. They won’t eat more “because I stop losing weight”
    SMH uhhhhh. You stop losing muscle... that’s not bad.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member

No, when compared to other diets and calories are equal, rates of loss are basically the same. I think what you are observing is the same thing I have observed - people who are successful with keto outside of the controlled study environs do not get as hungry and unconsciously down-regulate their eating (they eat fewer calories than they would on another diet). I have days where I struggle to eat 1000 calories and they seem to far outnumber the days where I want to eat everything.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member

Honestly? We must be reading something different in the same print. Over the 2 + years I've been reading the Keto or LC forums, I've not seen many if any people CONSISTENTLY lose more than a couple pounds a week. Many have a major water weight drop when they start and over the 1st several weeks that may average out to more than a couple of pounds but then it seems to level out to 1 or 2 pounds at best. IMO, that is to be expected and it is what I see in the forum. I could be wrong.

Perhaps my focus is in the multitude who voice a frustration when weight loss does not occur or they do not see the big numbers. Dunno. I just don't see CONSISTENT big losses over time with individuals. I've seen some MAJOR weight loss SUCCESS with those who have had the tenacity to stick with the ups and downs over the long term and not become frustrated with .5 or .8 pounds etc.

Sadly, I think all the hype keto is currently getting for weight loss sets a false expectation and people end up quitting when they don't see the big numbers week in and week out. Any weight/fat loss diet takes time. I'm a fan of keto for many things. It "saved" me, IMO, from gaining all my loss back due to high fat providing satiety (for me) so I'm not knocking it. At all. I just don't see the CONSISTENTLY high weekly loss numbers you indicate.

• jelleigh
    Ya you're probably right @kpk54 . Im new to Keto so everything ia still shiny and I probably am just being drawn to a few outliers and then thinking its way more common. I know weight loss is just going to take time - I really have learned that over the last year. But for somw reason there is still this little inpatient part of me that keeps hoping I will be able to do it just a BIT faster than 1 lb a week. :D:#
  • Everyonelies
    Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
    I am only on my second week, and even though I lost 7 lbs the first week, I am really just hoping to be able to lose as close to 2lbs a week as possible. Losing a lot of weight too quickly seems a bit scary to me. Sure, I'd be at my goal weight faster, but I worry about loose skin. The body needs time to adjust...if I was to lose 7lbs every week, I'd be at a close to 30lb loss in a month, and it would be great...albeit not healthy...in my opinion.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    The keto way of eating seems like it is so easy for me that I find myself thinking "is this really calorie deficit"?. It just doesn't feel like it. I think this is why it's possible to think that keto is magic. My weight loss has slowed a bit but that may be because I realized that my bacon had sugars added. So I decided to make some changes. The sugared bacon has been replaced and I am going to switch to a five day a week exercise routine to see what happens.