Onions and G-BOMBS in October

Options
13»

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,943 Member
    Options
    I still haven't finished all my prep. Has been a rough few days. I had my 16 year old kitty put down yesterday. :( I will finish tonight I hope, but at least I have salads ready to go.

Austin, that recipe looks good. I like the addition of fresh parsley. I will do that. I like rosemary on my mushrooms too.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    So sorry about your kitty, Mihani. :( Hang in there.

I didn't do my batching last weekend as planned. Always ends up being a total disaster when I don't prepare. I came across a vegan Indian cookbook we used to use a lot. I'm thinking of revisiting some of those recipes in the hopes of getting inspired.

My favorite Thanksgiving recipe is a festive tart. It is like a whole thanksgiving feast in one dish. I made up a mushroom gravy to go overtop. It is a big hit with non vegans too.

Festive Chickpea Tart (plantpoweredkitchen.com)

Servings: Serves 4-5

Ingredients:
    1-2 tbsp water:
    1 cup onion diced
    1/2 cup celery diced
    4-5 medium-large garlic cloves minced
    1 ⁄4 tsp sea salt
    Few pinches freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups chickpeas reserve 1/3 cup
    2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 tsp tamari
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    1/4 tsp sea salt
    3/4 cup walnuts toasted
    1/3 cup rolled oats optional, see note
    1 - 10 oz pckg frozen chopped spinach thawed and squeezed to remove excess water (about 1 cup after squeezing)
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
    1 tbsp fresh thyme chopped (or 1 tsp dried thyme added to puree)
    1 prepared whole-wheat pastry pie crust thawed (see note)
    1 tsp tamari
    2 tbsp walnuts chopped (for topping, no need to toast beforehand)

Steps
    Add water, onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 9-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened and turning golden. In a food processor, add chickpeas (except reserved 1/3 cup), lemon juice, tamari, sage, salt, and sautéed mixture, and partially puree (not fully like hummus, but leaving some chunkier consistency). Add toasted walnuts and oats, and briefly pulse to lightly break up nuts. Transfer to a bowl, and stir in spinach, cranberries, parsley, thyme, and reserved chickpeas. Transfer mixture to pie shell (or lightly oiled pie plate, see note), smoothing to evenly distribute. Brush tamari over top. Sprinkle on walnuts. Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes, until tart is golden on edges and top. Cool 5-10 minutes, then serve with cranberry sauce, a spoon drizzling of oil/balsamic vinegar slurry, or other sauce of choice. Serves 4-5.

Note: The rolled oats, while lending some structure to the tart, can easily be omitted.
    Note: This tart can be made without the pastry crust, if needed. Do not over bake as tart will tend to dry out without a crust.
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,591 Member
    Options
    @Mihani - I am so, so sorry about your kitty.

@Carla_wfpb - Thank you! I will try this! (minus the crust and oats, as a start)
    I found a mushroom gravy recipe that looks good: https://hellonutritarian.com/nutritarian-mushroom-gravy/
  • Mihani
    Options
    Carla, that's one of my favorite recipes from Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. Dreena is more on the no oil road now, but I have loved every recipe I've ever tried from that earlier cookbook. The Mac Oh Geeze is my favorite comfort food. I should make the chickpea tart for Thanksgiving again. Haven't made it for several years.

Austin did you try the mushrooms? The balsamic roasted mushrooms from Hello Nutritarian are SOOO good. Have been snacking on them and had a big scoop on my lunch salad. I put my own spin on them with spices, but I will be making them a lot from here on. I always have trouble getting the M in the GBOMBS.

Thanks for the well wishes on kitty. He was a very cool little guy and I miss him, but I know he's not sick and in pain now so I'm okay.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Just realized it wasn't Eat Drink & Be Vegan, it's Let Them Eat Vegan!