Ok Keto science buffs....

jelleigh
jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
Riddle me this:

My current understanding is...
Ketosis is the state in which your body is burning ketones for energy rather than sugar / carbs yes?
And after being in Ketosis for a bit, you deplete you glycogen stores from you cells which just leaves ketones from fat for energy yes?
And consuming too many carbs will take you out of this state yes?
But if you have depleted your glycogen stores already (which has happened if you have entered ketosis?) Then arguably the only available carbs are ones you consume.
So yesterday I had a weak moment and ate some tortilla chips and wine. Kicked me out of ketosis. Ive had a pretty active day today. Since ive been in ketosis for a few weeks and dropped water weight (indicating depleted glycogen stores) wouldnt my system have 'burnt off' the carbs I've consumed and thus get back into Ketosis faster since all it has to pull from is what I ate? I was probably at 70 carbs by day end.
Just trying to understand what to expect and how long it takes to get back to where I was.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Your body is making glucose (basic carb) as needed. It eventually refills your glycogen stores too. How much your body makes depends on your carb intake, activity level, whether you are fat adapted or not (takes a few weeks to months) and your metabolic health.

You may notice some water retention and increased thirst for a couple of days. Increased carbs raises insulin and insulin causes water retention. I had a candy bar the other day and I found I was quite thirsty for about 2 days. I also noticed a bit of an energy dip, but that won't be true for all.

If you are active and eating very low carb, you should be back into ketosis in a day or two, I would imagine. The longer one has been ketogenic, the faster the switch back seems to be (probably due to fat adaptation). You'll probably be back in full time ketosis tomorrow.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Ketosis is the state in which your body is burning ketones for energy rather than sugar / carbs yes?
    It's never really 100% one or the other, your body will consume both ketones and glucose simultaneously. You are considered in ketosis when you have a high level of ketones circulating, which also means you are probably using a high percentage of ketones for energy.

And after being in Ketosis for a bit, you deplete you glycogen stores from you cells which just leaves ketones from fat for energy yes?
    This will happen with or without ketones. Every time you go more than about 5 hours without eating you are depleting glycogen stored in the liver and muscles, ditto for any time you are doing intense exercise. You will also replenish these stores before burning carbs for energy, so they are never really totally gone except temporarily.

And consuming too many carbs will take you out of this state yes?
    Consuming too many carbs will reduce the amount of circulating ketones temporarily, yes, because your body will not need to manufacture ketones for energy given sufficient glucose availability.

70g of carbs coupled with exercise is probably NOT enough of a carb intake to take you out of ketosis in the first place. I can consume 88 or even as high as 110 and I don't seem to come out of ketosis (based on non-recurrence of migraines). Don't worry about getting "back" to it, you have probably never dropped out. What your body probably has done is store a bunch of water and glucose in your muscles and liver, as well as burning through quite a bit of glucose and having a bit of a party with an energy surge. Expect some water weight gains, but don't worry about them.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Ketones are not your only energy source when in ketosis. Fatty acids are your main energy. Ketones are just one. You also continue using glucose. It’s just not your primary source of energy.