Living The Lifestyle Friday 10/5/2018

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
What is a healthy diet/lifestyle for you. We all have different goals .Some of us need to lose some need to maintain. Some need to adjust their diet due to blood sugar ,cholesterol, blood pressure or other levels of disease.

How due you manage yourself to stay healthy?

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I stock my fridge with veggies, fruit, low fat meats. I have fish 2 times a wk. for omega 3. I don’t buy high sodium foods. I still have my deserts in moderation. I try to be as active as I can and make sure I socialize to stay intact with life.

I try to stay as stress free as possible. I believe this is important especially for my blood pressure and my heart.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    For me a healthy diet/lifestyle means that I prepare the majority of my food and take it to work. This ensures that I have foods that agree with my gut and that help me get in sufficient protein and veggies. My nightly routine of packing my workout bag is completely ingrained. The rare times when I can't work out in the morning throw off this routine. My workout clothes for the next day are on the floor next to the bed. They go on after I've done my morning scale hop.

My morning activity helps with stress reduction and gives me a firm foundation for the day.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    We load up on the "good stuff", and I try to "make the better choice". My health is pretty good, right now. A1c around 5.1and BP controlled with less meds. The back?? Trying to stay away from surgery, shots, etc. That might be better with less weight, but..
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    For me it all comes down to meal planning and the shopping list. If I have a solid plan, meats thawed, sides identified, I am a lot less likely to fall into the “let’s get pizza” trap. Even this comes down to trade-offs, however. One kid likes veggies, the other not so much. I am the only one that likes fish and spicy foods. Fancy sauces and exotic preps don’t cut it with the girls (they actually unwrapped a prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin last week). All in all it comes down to make the better choice, which is made easier by planning and preparation.
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Lots of good stuff mentioned above and getting good sleep.

Also, the topic also aligns well with cold and flu season.
    I manage to avoid a lot of colds simply by washing my hands more often, and keeping them away from my face.
    Good practice year round, IMO.
    Side note, it's astonishing how many guys use the toilet and don't wash their hands.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    I put some effort in planning and shopping. We don't buy or stock too much stuff that could derail us beyond quantity choices. I keep my focus on being healthy and what I can do to make that happen for my remaining time on the planet. That is my goal, getting and keeping weight off is the biggest variable I can control.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    How due you manage yourself to stay healthy?

My experience is that my weight gain is tied most largely to what I eat and drink. So that's where I start being healthier. I eat less and make healthier choices than I used to. That's how I lost the 80 pounds and I know it works for me. I'm up about five pounds over where I like to be. Stress-eating periodically got the better of me. However, numerous times I held myself back from making less healthy choices. A true practitioner of "persistence, not perfection". I'm not thrilled with the gain but it's not the end of the world either. I haven't abandoned ship but apparently needed a little reminder of what works for me. Tracking serves the dual purpose of documenting my intake and reminding me of my choices--sometimes I need that.

Other factors: limit depressing news; get outside; find positive things that inspire me.