Chris Masterjohn analysis of the Kresser/Kahn debate on Joe Rogan's podcast

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
I know many either watched or listened to the debate between Chris Kresser and Joel Kahn on Joe Rogan's show. If you did, but felt confused afterwards, or if you just couldn't handle the nearly 4 hours that would take (2 hours if you are like me and listen to podcasts at 2x speed), here is a very good analysis of the debate which includes some of the studies referenced by both sides done by Chris Masterjohn.

I have finished the video and am going through some of the links now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EQg6c5D3r8

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thank You! I tried listening to Rogan's show but they (Kahn) prattled on or did not speak in a manner that held my attention (Kessler). This was a huge help... You've actually made me wanted to give listening a try again.

I liked Kessler's comment that a carnivore diet may be helpful to some because meat is digested fairly high up in the digestive system (low residue diet), so if you have intestinal issues (like leaky gut which tends to be associated with autoimmunity) it's almost like a fast for that part of your digestive system. I have celiac disease, which is about as leaky as it gets, and I can no longer deny that I feel much better eating as (basically) a carnivore. It's not as much fun as including plants IMO, but it works. It's a great rabbit hole to look into.
    Was around 1:04 in the video above. I never hit it in the Rogan show.

Great points that vegan and carnivore are self selected diets - we stick with them for ethics AND because we feel good doing it.

The argument for veganism for health ended up being fairly weak according to Masterjohn. Veganism is fine for ethical reasons, but for health improvements, variety and the inclusion animal of products are ideal (according to Masterjohn).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like how he gave a capsule overview, the original was just too much yak, yak, yak. I love to read thick books but I hate long podcasts.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Will download this episode from his podcast -- easier to listen and ffwd than watch! Lately I have gotten less amenable to listening to all the nutritional (wo)mansplainers who love to hear themselves talk in my podcast feed. Why don't they let their interviewee do the talking instead of interrupting them? /rant off
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    Will download this episode from his podcast -- easier to listen and ffwd than watch! Lately I have gotten less amenable to listening to all the nutritional (wo)mansplainers who love to hear themselves talk in my podcast feed. Why don't they let their interviewee do the talking instead of interrupting them? /rant off

So true! So many of them interrupt every few minutes. Rogan isn't too bad when it's on nutrition, but there are a few who really love to hear themselves.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I listened to this one this morning, and was grateful for Masterjohn's analysis. thanks for the link, @cstehansen.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    OK I watch the above at the speed of 1.25 and think I grasped the gist of both sides of the debate. I have to say my Keto WOE is more plant based than pre Keto WOE's but do eat a lot of tuna/fish and beef. I am glad I took the time to view this.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm glad others found this helpful. @GaleHawkins - I listen to all my podcasts sped up usually to 2x, but occasionally, I have to slow it down to 1.5x. I do the same with most videos as well. Most people just talk to slow. I am easily distracted, so listening to/watching at regular speed means I find myself halfway through having missed most of what was said.