Do I Need To Add Back a Few Carbs

Options
FarmerCarla
FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
I started Keto on Sept. 28. I received my meter yesterday and ketones measured 3.0 mmol/L. I am not diabetic. I've read between 0.5 and 1.5 are the optimal levels for weight loss, except right after exercise, and my exericse happened hours earlier. Do I need to add back a few carbs to adjust to keto more slowly. I know I need to add more calories, and I'm working on that by eating more avocado. Thoughts?

Replies

• bustercrabby
    bustercrabby Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I started Keto on Sept. 28. I received my meter yesterday and ketones measured 3.0 mmol/L. I am not diabetic. I've read between 0.5 and 1.5 are the optimal levels for weight loss, except right after exercise, and my exericse happened hours earlier. Do I need to add back a few carbs to adjust to keto more slowly. I know I need to add more calories, and I'm working on that by eating more avocado. Thoughts?

Thoughts? Yes we have thoughts.

We'd love to help, but you haven't included any vital information. Cals/day? What are your macros now? What is your exercise routine? Simply impossible to help without knowing these things.
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Thoughts? Yes we have thoughts.

We'd love to help, but you haven't included any vital information. Cals/day? What are your macros now? What is your exercise routine? Simply impossible to help without knowing these things.

Fair enough, I should have realized. Okay, 1240 calories a day, I do a 3+ mile walk most days. I calculated my macros on the Keto Karma website: Carbs 5% (15g), Fat 67% (92g), Protein 28% (88 g). So far, it's difficult to eat all the calories and not exceed carbs, especially with the exercise calories added, but I managed to eat at least 1000 total calories on all but two days since I started this on Sept 24. The MFP program automatically adds an extra 3g of carbs on the days I walk. Is that okay, or should I stick to the 15g? Net carbs, on all but a couple of days, have been below 15g. It was frustrating to learn that I can't get fiber without eating carbs. The avocados are helping me with calories and fiber.

I had a busy travel weekend and felt bad most of the time (queasy tummy and exhausted), and I suspect it was the "keto flu" I read about. I always drink a lot of fluids, water and Zevia sodas, but mostly weak iced tea. Over the weekend, I allowed myself a few extra carbs (two 1" truffles, 2 bites of ice cream, 2 bites of a brownie, communion bread and juice), and I feel better today. I'm back home, so I did my 3+ mile walk this morning without ill effects.

I just took a new ketone reading that measured 2.7 mmol/L so it's come down. Should I add a few carbs daily until it's in the 0.5 - 1.5 range or just eat a few carbs if I feel yucky again? Should I add no extra carbs and just tough it out while I wait for the adjustment period to pass?

I may have a tendency to overthink some things. Is keto complicated, or am I just making it complicated?