Keto and loose skin

fatsork
fatsork Posts: 82 Member
Hi guys im obviously near the start of my journey but wanted to ask more experienced ketoers about loose skin? Has or does this happen and apart from exercise is there anything i can do to prevent this??

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    This happens anytime you lose a significant amount of weight. It's not specific to method.
  • KristinLeeD
    KristinLeeD Posts: 218 Member
    Some say it also correlates to how quickly you lose the weight - but I believe it all comes down to genetics, similar to how some people get stretch marks and some don't.
  • fatsork
    fatsork Posts: 82 Member
    Thank you for the input guys, iv been keeping the skin moisterised dont know if this will help or not-
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    it took me about 2 years of being weight stable for the belly to shrink as much as it was going to, so don't worry about it as you are losing weight, the skin is slower to shrink but it will eventually catch up
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,649 Member
    @nvmomketo, I feel the same on all accounts, :)
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    I know it happens; but as others have said, there is no way to know what your experience will be until you hit that point. I have lost over 100 lbs twice now in a year (once 5 years ago; the second now...well, almost twice. the scale had me at 98 lbs lost this morning and my year mark is Halloween). i _personally_ haven't had an issue with loose skin yet. I have some friends that went through bariatric surgery together, both lost over 200 lbs in association with it and changing their eating) and she did not have any skin issues (or agreed with the others on here) but he did have issues with excess loose skin and had it surgically fixed.
  • BulletProofSkim
    BulletProofSkim Posts: 83 Member
    fatsork wrote: »
    Hi guys im obviously near the start of my journey but wanted to ask more experienced ketoers about loose skin? Has or does this happen and apart from exercise is there anything i can do to prevent this??

There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that fasting (either intermittent or extended fasting) has an autophagy effect. Some people who follow IF or EF protocols report no loose skin and maybe it's due to autophagy.

Could be something to research further...
    https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/
  • lowcarbmale
    lowcarbmale Posts: 145 Member
    fatsork wrote: »

There is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that fasting (either intermittent or extended fasting) has an autophagy effect. Some people who follow IF or EF protocols report no loose skin and maybe it's due to autophagy.

Could be something to research further...
    https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/

that makes sense to me