To buy a bar or not...that is the question

Options
kdcatt
kdcatt Posts: 21 Member
I started Strong Curves 4 weeks ago and working on a modified version of BB using home equipment (bench, dumbbells, resistance bands, pull-up bar). I am itching to get a 5 foot barbell to start with, but SO says we don't have room and to wait until we move next year and I have a better home gym. Should I wait? Will it really take up that much space?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think you can get a smaller one, the size of an EZ bar but straight. I believe mine is 4ft. Even if you move and have more space, you can get a full size one too, but still use the smaller one. I find it is great for things like single-leg deadlifts, single-leg hip thrusts, glute bridges, frog pumps, lunges, overhead press, etc.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older thread, but it caught my eye because I am interested in adding a barbell so I can use heavier weights for things like squats and lunges. Holding heavy dumbbells just hurts my arms after a while. Any recommendations that are economical?
  • sarahcthreatt417
    sarahcthreatt417 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When I bought a bar for squats I quickly realized that I needed a rack too as positioning the bar on my shoulders was too hard to accomplish without some help. I ended up buying a rack, weights, and a bar. I am glad I did it though. You can find used equipment pretty easily online.