CICO/Keto

Everyonelies
Everyonelies Posts: 225 Member
edited October 2018 in Social Groups
So I am on day 18 of this WOE. I am down 10lbs. I was sleeping super deep last week, this week not so much. I was feeling the keto flu the first week, fine last week, flu-ish again this week. I am taking magnesium and zinc plus a vitamin D supplement and salting my food.

When I started keto, I went on the calculator someone posted a link to… I put myself down as sedentary with a 20% deficit (again, keto group recommendation) and it recommended 1400cals, 25g carbs, 105g fat and 89g protein. I do keep my net carbs lower than that without really trying, and protein higher, again, without trying.

The first week on keto I only worked out twice, barely, last week, I did 6 days, mostly cardio (elliptical, treadmill, swimming), this week so far I have done 1 day with HIIT, 2 days weights/cardio, 1 day just cardio.

This week I have been feeling pretty tired after lunch. Sleepy and drained. Because I have been working out more…and I put myself as sedentary…I wonder if I am not eating enough calories. I do notice that my appetite has lessened so maybe eating more calories would help.

When I was only counting calories, MFP had me at 1200cals, but I would eat back half the calories from workouts. I have not done that since Keto.

Should I be eating more calories?
Should I change my settings to Active?
Should I just wait it out?

Help!

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Almost sounds like lingering effects of the Keto flu. I found that drinking a liter of Powerade Zero daily helped a lot to get the sodium and electrolytes. Your settings look pretty good. Be sure you are hitting or exceeding protein daily and staying under carbs and fat. The first few weeks are the hardest. It took me to week 7 to get fat adapted. I don't even really think about calories any longer and lose around 2-4 pounds a month. I just eat when hungry.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    It sounds to me like you need more salt. Salting food is not enough, and I have definitely found that with workouts, particularly intense workouts like interval cardio or weight lifting - I need extra salt. Try adding like 1/4 tsp of salt right before each workout, or 2-3 times a day. That should clear up the "flu" and improve how you feel in the afternoons.

The afternoon sleepiness is usually a sign of the thyroid and/or adrenals not functioning at peak efficiency. If that is not corrected with additional salt, then consider adding in some thyroid and adrenal supporting foods. I don't remember many off the top of my head (almonds, shrimp, avocados, licorice root) but I'm sure you can google them and get some ideas about what you like and want to add.

As for calories, your thyroid/adrenals being stressed is definitely something that can be triggered by too steep of a deficit. Eating back some of your exercise calories is a great idea if you are still losing when you do so.
  • Everyonelies
    It sounds to me like you need more salt. Salting food is not enough, and I have definitely found that with workouts, particularly intense workouts like interval cardio or weight lifting - I need extra salt. Try adding like 1/4 tsp of salt right before each workout, or 2-3 times a day. That should clear up the "flu" and improve how you feel in the afternoons.

The afternoon sleepiness is usually a sign of the thyroid and/or adrenals not functioning at peak efficiency. If that is not corrected with additional salt, then consider adding in some thyroid and adrenal supporting foods. I don't remember many off the top of my head (almonds, shrimp, avocados, licorice root) but I'm sure you can google them and get some ideas about what you like and want to add.

As for calories, your thyroid/adrenals being stressed is definitely something that can be triggered by too steep of a deficit. Eating back some of your exercise calories is a great idea if you are still losing when you do so.

Thank you both! I think I will start with @qweck3 recommendation and get some Powerade and see how that works out. I will play around with more salt as well. I was worried of it being too much of a deficit if I didnt eat back some of my calories, but as it is, some days I cant even eat the 1400 recommended.

I am hoping the salt works...
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    I agree with the sodium recommendations here. I drink Crystal Light with Lite Salt to keep my sodium numbers in the 4000-5000 mg range, and for me that keeps the fatigue and achiness at bay. I find my calories are often low and don't worry much about that. I figure there is always the strategic fat reserve, if I need an energy source.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Salting your food isn’t enough. No where near
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thank you for the head's up/alert on the food salting being insufficient. if you don't mind sharing, do you prefer to eat it straight or mix it into water (or another beverage)?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    zanyterp wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ thank you for the head's up/alert on the food salting being insufficient. if you don't mind sharing, do you prefer to eat it straight or mix it into water (or another beverage)?

I say get it however you find easiest. I will just toss back a big pinch of coarse salt crystals and swallow like a pill several times a day. Some people say doing that upsets their stomach and they will dissolve it in a small amount of water. Some people like to buy sodium chloride tablets and take as many as needed throughout the day.
    I’ve recently discovered a new product called Ultra Salt by Pure Vitamin Club that is well balanced with other electrolytes and apparently has a perfect ph to avoid stomach upset. I wouldn’t know about that though because just taking salt alone never bothered me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Oh. I should add that if you choose either of the pill forms, you would have to take like 10-20 of those a day to get the sodium you need in keto so they help but don’t really replace the need to supplement salt elsewhere.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    thank you, ma'am
  • Everyonelies
    zanyterp wrote: »

I say get it however you find easiest. I will just toss back a big pinch of coarse salt crystals and swallow like a pill several times a day. Some people say doing that upsets their stomach and they will dissolve it in a small amount of water. Some people like to buy sodium chloride tablets and take as many as needed throughout the day.
    I’ve recently discovered a new product called Ultra Salt by Pure Vitamin Club that is well balanced with other electrolytes and apparently has a perfect ph to avoid stomach upset. I wouldn’t know about that though because just taking salt alone never bothered me.

I put a tsp of salt in my Powerade Zero...I will see how that works...
  • __Roxy__
    __Roxy__ Posts: 825 Member
    I take a gulp of pickle juice several times per day :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I pour salt into my hand every morning and just eat it with a glass of water. ;)