Living The Lifestyle Friday 10/12/2018

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for October below:

Monday imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)

Today’s Topic :Character

Do you think that challenges improve a person’s character?

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Do you think that challenges improve a person’s character? Yes

I always like to challenge myself which gives me the sense of pride and I feel it makes me stronger. This makes me a better person.
    I don’t always succeed but I give it my all.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

My thoughts, exactly.
    Was never and am not now a challenge person. Always looked a the big picture, not a narrow window. The lets see who can lose 10# the fastest was always a a pass from me.
    However, when excercising, I almost alwayed push for that next rep/minute/x# steps, which often led to injury.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

Not in and of themselves. What a person does with those challenges can though.

It seems a little silly at times but I've been able to apply the 'one day at a time', slow but steady progress approach of weight loss to other challenges over the last few years. I think I knew of that approach before but weight management has helped reinforce the benefits and brought the concepts back to the forefront for me. There's lots of situations where this approach helps me make progress on various challenges.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    If I succeed at a challenge I feel good about myself. I have made some personal goals/challenges to get to a few accomplishments.
    Lose 100#
    Get to 299
    Get to Goal Weight
    Make Lifetime
    Keep on Maintenance

I learned that timed weight loss challenges set people to be disappointed because they are not realizing that there are so many variables IMHO.

I tried a 10K steps a Goal Fitbit Challenge a couple years ago. I tried but did not keep going. It didn’t change my character just learned my limits.

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    I think facing your challenges in life and taking them on builds character. I am not sure you always get the same result in challenges we create to "challenge" ourselves. Life's challenges often don't leave you a viable out. You have to respond. The others you can always blow off. That probably eats away at character a bit.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options

Not automatically, no.

And while we’re on the subject, I think involving character in our weight loss program raises the stakes in unhelpful ways. Weight loss is an exercise in problem solving.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,588 Member
    Options
    @88olds you raise a good point. While facing the challenges of changing to a healthy lifestyle and losing weight can help build character, lack of success is not a character statement in itself. There can be deep-rooted habits and generational lifestyles to deprogram, emotional issues to confront and known (or unknown) medical issues just to name a few. And life does happen.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,028 Member
    Options
    Do you think Challenges improves a persons character?

I think the acceptance of a challenge says alot about a person's character. To that end I do think a challenge can improve a person's character. If you fail at the challenge hopefully the individual will get up and dust themselves off and learn from the failure. If the person wins at the challenge then they have the opportunity to learn from the success as well. Either way win or lose there's something to gain and the ability to improve their character.

SW 400.8
    CW 346.4 :/
    Next 1 GW 340.0
    Next 2 GW 300.0
    Final GW 185.0

54.4 lbs Total Loss