Now what?

Options
tycamsdad
tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
I completed C25K a couple of weeks ago and did my first official 5K race this past Saturday and finished in 28:30, which was 1:30 under my goal. I have had two runs this week but did them in the afternoon rather than the mornings like I did most of my C25K training and the 5K race. To be completely honest, the afternoon runs kicked my butt. I'm not sure if it was the change in my running schedule or the absence of motivation due to not having another race lined up to train for but it was a challenge to finish each day's run and my pace was inconsistent and slow.

For those of you that have conquered C25K and your first 5K race, what do you do to stay motivated and energized? I am not quite ready for the step up to the 10K training program (I will be taking a ten day vacation next week and want to wait until I get back to start that). I just need something or someone to kick me in the butt and get me out there running at the pace I was just a few days ago and for it not to suck so bad when I am doing it. Should I go back to the morning runs? Suck it up and grind through and make the afternoon runs work? Quit whining and man up? I plan on using the hotel fitness center while I am on vacation (I will be in Vegas so it will be too hot to run outdoors) so hopefully that will keep me moving while I am gone.

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Vegas has great places to run if you get yourself up before the heat rolls in.

As far as what to do afterwards, you need to figure out what your next goal is. Do you want to increase your speed? Increase your distance? Or maybe poke your nose in at any local running groups that are in your area.

If you are still trying to decide on what to do, I would at least try to continue increasing your base until you get up to about 12-15 miles a week. This way you are at least still focusing on a goal, but nothing that is too strenuous. Shift some days if you want and bring in another day to become your long run. The choices are endless in what you can do.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I haven't followed the 5 to 10K programs, but mostly because I'm focused on triathlons. So take this advice for what it's worth...

What I do is run 3x/week - one long run, one speedwork, one hill repeat type things. You could also be even simpler and do one longer run and keep the other two at about 3 miles each for now, making sure one route has hills, and work some faster/slower drills into the other one (a la the first couple weeks of C25K). If you do the second option, you should be able to at least maintain, and probably get a bit faster. If you want to increase distance, add 1/2 mile to your long run each week. If it's hard, just repeat that same distance next week and add the 1/2 mile the following one. There are true training plans out there, my suggestions are nowhere near those. I just really wanted to get comfortable running, but still needed to have some direction. This is based on what several other runners told me to do. I do now currently train with a running group for speedwork and it's a lot of fun to meet with others.

Yes, have a goal. Even if your goal is to plan out your workouts for the next two months and actually do them.

Run at the time of day that works for you. If you run slower in the afternoon, but it works better for your family and schedule, then do that. It's fun getting to learn what you can do, and how time of day, heat, and other things affect your workout.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    And congrats on finishing and your time! I'd love to have a 5K at that pace. I'm hoping to break a 9 minute mile in the next 5 weeks, but to maintain your pace for a whole 5K - wow!!
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I did my run this morning and it felt great compared to the last couple of afternoon runs. The pace was close to what I ran in the race last week.

I think I will find a 5K race in September to help me stay motivated. I like the thought of varying my workouts so I don't get bored running the same distance and path. We are pretty good friends with our local high school cross country coach (our sons ran for them while they were in high school too) so perhaps I will do their Monday hill workout with the team or just ask for their guidance since I obviously won't be as fast as the high schoolers.

Thanks again. Best of luck with the triathalons.