Sweet, weird smelling sweat?

Options
JessiBelleW
JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
Hi y’all,
Does anyone else have weird sweet, smelling sweat? I notice it most on my chest/ the front of my shirt.

Thanks!

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    One of the byproducts of the keto metabolism is acetone and it most commonly is eliminated by the body thru either the breath or thru sweat (causing the weird odor).
  • cindytoronto
    cindytoronto Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am not a medical professional but I have heard Dr Phinney say in a video that you can smell ketones in a person with uncontrolled diabetes. I would see your doctor and get some blood work done
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I am not a medical professional but I have heard Dr Phinney say in a video that you can smell ketones in a person with uncontrolled diabetes. I would see your doctor and get some blood work done

My daughter is a RN and said you can walk in a room and immediately know if a patient is diabetic.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I have never observed ant odor or smell but when in ketosis I can taste it. A very inexpensive meter to have.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    While this is different than Nutrition Ketosis I did find the below.

https://healthline.com/health/diabetes/bad-breath

"When your body can’t make insulin, your cells don’t receive the glucose they need for fuel. To compensate, your body switches to plan B: burning fat. Burning fat instead of sugar produces ketones, which build up in your blood and urine. Ketones can also be produced when you’re fasting or if you’re on a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet, although not to the same level as they are in diabetic ketoacidosis.

High ketone levels often cause bad breath. One of the ketones, acetone (a chemical found in nail polish), can cause your breath to smell like nail polish.

When ketones rise to unsafe levels, you’re at risk of a dangerous condition called diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA). Symptoms of DKA include:

a sweet and fruity odor on your breath......."