Paradox of hypercholesterolaemia in highly trained, keto-adapted athletes

Options
nvmomketo
nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
edited October 2018 in Social Groups
I found this interesting so I thought I'd share it.

Paradox of hypercholesterolaemia in highly trained, keto-adapted athletes

by Brent C Creighton,1 Parker Neil Hyde,2 Carl M Maresh,2 William J Kraemer,2 Stephen D Phinney,1 Jeff S Volek2

https://bmjopensem.bmj.com/content/bmjosem/4/1/e000429.full.pdf

Summary Box
► This study showed that a group of elite athletes habitually consuming a very low-carbohydrate (LC) diet for over a year exhibited markedly elevated concentrations of total and LDL-C, above levels considered desirable and beyond that which has been observed in ketogenic diet interventions in non-athletes.
► The LC athletes also had extremely high concentrations of HDL-C and fewer small, dense LDL particles, suggestive of lower risk for cardiovascular disease.
► The explanation for this paradox of very high circulating cholesterol in highly-trained endurance athletes who adopt a low-carbohydrate diet, may be related to high intakes of saturated fat and cholesterol as well as an increased demand for lipid metabolism and corresponding expansion of the intravascular cholesterol pool to accommodate their dramatically accelerated rates of fatty acid oxidation

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    My MD is not pro Keto but did state a couple months ago that she now pays little attention to LDL numbers if the Triglyceride count was in the 'normal' range and HDL was 60 or better.