Shocked to see this on my medical chart

I had back surgery in July, today I was following up on some things and looked through my electronic chart, they have me coded as overweight, I have a medium frame, 5'8 and 166 lbs...is this seriously considered overweight? Yet not one person in this medical office has addressed my "weight" issue. I just don't know what to think..your thoughts...go!

Replies

• tvm1970
    tvm1970 Posts: 164 Member
    Many hospitals use BMI to measure which is not the most accurate method however even if they did you fall within the healthy range. I'd suggest someone has either calculated wrong and it's defaulted or they have ticked the wrong box.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,046 Member
    Per the BMI, 166 at 5' 8" you fall into overweight - barely mind you (25.2 bmi where 25.0 is the cut off for overweight).

I know I fell well into the overweight category on the BMI chart at my heaviest, and while I knew I was overweight, no one ever commented on that fact, including health professionals. I don't think they are prone to addressing it unless you're into the obese category (or nearing it) or it's causing other issues.

But, assess yourself as well. Someone who is fit and carries a fair bit of muscle mass may well fall outside of the parameters of the BMI.
  • ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    I've had a few surgeries myself and have had that shock myself.

Unfortunately, for surgeries, one's weight can present certain risks, and they go strictly by BMI when accessing potential risks. Your physicians probably haven't said anything to because your body fat percentage is well within the normal (or even fitness or athletic) range.