1st bulk/cut?

Options
MzManiak
MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
Hi Sara and SideSteel!

This is my first time posting here, although I've followed some of your posts in the main forums. I just reached my "goal" weight of 105 lbs and am estimating that I should be really close to my goal body fat % (I was 18.1 a few weeks ago- my goal is 17). I had already upped my calories to 1400 + exercise, which should be maintenance for me, but am going to switch to a flat 1750/day calorie goal now to see if I can maintain there, since I often exercise in the evening and am too tired to bother with eating all of those calories back. I know I want to sit where I am for about 4-6 weeks so I can focus on my lifting/ running for now and also getting my caloric number correct. But I'm starting to get interested in doing a first bulk/cut. I think being 115 at 17% bf would be a good next goal to aim for?

I guess my question is just, how to go about it, if it's right for me... I'm 5'1", currently 105. I do SL5x5 3x/week and C25K 3x/week on opposite days. I'm really a beginner in both. Only been doing them 3 weeks or so. What do you think?

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Anything 20%or below is a good place to bulk from.

How long have you been lifting for? What were you doing before?
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Bump,to stalk. Great job OP:-)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would take a look at your previous 3-4 weeks of gross calorie and macronutrient intake (not net) and compare it to change in bodyweight and use these as a baseline to figure out your daily caloric intake.

In other words, you need to quantify what "1450+exercise" calories ends up being in gross caloric intake as a daily average, and use this as a baseline to make your changes/increases on.
  • MzManiak
    Options
    I've only been lifting a month or so. I really wasn't doing any type of program before. I did Pilates but I stay pretty active with my kids- hiking/camping/canoeing/etc... and dancing for fun- bachata/punta/cumbias, and I'd go through periods off and on of being really active in the gym, doing strength training with the machines or dumb bells and cardio until I'd lose interest after about 6 months and stop going until the next time I felt I needed to "get back in shape".

Sounds bad typing it out. :embarassed:

I've just always been slender so didn't really worry about how much I weighed or what I ate... but I'm liking the changes I'm making in my body now and would like to continue to make progress.
  • MzManiak
    Options
    I would take a look at your previous 3-4 weeks of gross calorie and macronutrient intake (not net) and compare it to change in bodyweight and use these as a baseline to figure out your daily caloric intake.

In other words, you need to quantify what "1450+exercise" calories ends up being in gross caloric intake as a daily average, and use this as a baseline to make your changes/increases on.

1400 + exercise would be about the 1750 I plan on changing it to. I use a Fitbit One and am pretty much trusting that to guess my burns.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow. I'm in the same situation although I have the maintenance thing figured out now. Considering a bulk/cut in October.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I've only been lifting a month or so. I really wasn't doing any type of program before. I did Pilates but I stay pretty active with my kids- hiking/camping/canoeing/etc... and dancing for fun- bachata/punta/cumbias, and I'd go through periods off and on of being really active in the gym, doing strength training with the machines or dumb bells and cardio until I'd lose interest after about 6 months and stop going until the next time I felt I needed to "get back in shape".

Sounds bad typing it out. :embarassed:

I've just always been slender so didn't really worry about how much I weighed or what I ate... but I'm liking the changes I'm making in my body now and would like to continue to make progress.

I would give it some time at maintenance as you will probably be getting newbie gains (you can on a deficit as well, but they will be improved at maintenance). The amount of time really depends on how your lifts are progressing and how the bulk fits into your plans. Most people prefer to bulk over the winter so a suggestion would be to eat at maintenance (or find your maintenance by slowly upping cals) over the next few months. You will effectively be recomping over this time. Then in say the end of October/beginning of November, start eating at a surplus.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Locking so we can track active threads better. If you have further questions, please PM me, and include a link to this thread and I will unlock so you can pose them
This discussion has been closed.