Temptation

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for October below:

Monday imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry)

Today's Topic: Temptation

If you were locked in a room for hrs. with all the foods that tempt you and are unhealthy and got extremely hungry:

(1) Would you overly indulge ?
(2) Would you eat to be satisfied ?
(3) Would you try to tuff it out and not eat anything ?
(4) Other ( Explain )

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I would eat to be satisfied at first with the food that I have no resistant to. After time I could give in to eat more than I should. Once out I would get back on plan and move on.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,005 Member
    Options
    I would try to avoid eating all together. My problem is once I start I don't stop. That being said how long I could resist the temptation would depend heavily on circumstances like How full was I when the test started, how long am I locked in, what is my metal outlook, etc.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Trying to tough out extreme hunger has never worked for me. I just end up eating way more than I need when I finally have access to my normal foods.

So I would try to eat to satisfaction but if there are chocolate brownies involved, then I probably would indulge too much.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    If you were locked in a room for hrs. with all the foods that tempt you and are unhealthy and got extremely hungry:

(1) Would you overly indulge ?
    (2) Would you eat to be satisfied ?
    (3) Would you try to tuff it out and not eat anything ?
    (4) Other ( Explain )

#1 - It's hard for me to generalize but at this point, I think I'd likely overindulge. If I was locked in a room with tempting foods for hours, I'd be bored and start picking away at them. I don't think I'd wolf the food but in these circumstances, high likelihood that over time, I'd go overboard.

It'd be an interesting experiment, but I really don't want to do it. In fact, I try not to let similar circumstances happen. But for times when I'm "really hungry", I feel like it's become somewhat hardwired into me that I have this over-riding desire to stay around my current weight.

Somewhere in the course of the last four years, the foodlust subsided. While it once was one of my top priorities to stuff myself with all the tempting foods, that tendency just doesn't exist now. That's not to say there aren't temptations now and again, just that I don't respond in the ways I used to. The part that might throw it off in this scenario is that I'd be extremely bored AND hungry. (And I'm not as I'm typing this.)
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options
    Gosh don't know. If only tempting foods better not to start. World class pizza might do me in. I can't remember being extremely hungry. More like I see it I want it.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Since part of my overall strategy is not getting overly hunger, I’d try to make the best available choice.

So I’m going first with the pizza with the idea that a satisfying portion of that with keep me away from the other stuff.

I’m going to plan on following up on the pizza with some ice cream later. This gives me the advantage of employing delay as part of my strategy.

If I get into the chips, fries, cookies, brownies, cookies or chocolate cake, I’m basically cooked.

Do I know when I’m getting out of this room, or how I got locked in? A lot of stress is going to be a factor in this whole business.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,005 Member
    Options
    Darn I wish I had not read about pizza at 6 AM, now I am trying to figure out if I can drive back to North Jersey have 3 slices and be back before dinner tonight (its a 7 hour drive from here)
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,104 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    #1!