1500 Calorie or Less Recommended Daily Caloric Intake

Options
I myself, a 4'10'' female, 20 years old - is recommended to live on 1000-1500 depending on physical activity.

It's hard eating that few calories in a 2000 calorie based world.

I find it helps to always log what you eat, even all the junk food. Helps put your actions and impulses in perspective.

What are your struggles in being a short petite eater? How do you overcome them?

Replies

• AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    27, 5'0", here.

I overcome them by working out more and lifting heavy. More muscles=more calories you can eat. I lift, because I love chocolate! (And for how lifting makes my @ss look:laugh: )
  • WeightJourney77
    WeightJourney77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    27, 5'0", here.

I overcome them by working out more and lifting heavy. More muscles=more calories you can eat. I lift, because I love chocolate! (And for how lifting makes my @ss look:laugh: )

I love chocolate too. ♥

I ride a stationary bike usually myself, been picking it up more.
  • giveMEbeauty
    Options
    4ft 11
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    5' 2.5 here, the calculators have me at 1500 for maintenance once I am at goal weight. I think I am going to have to log for life. Pretty sure the 2000 calorie a day world is the reason I need to lose now.
  • miaz143
    miaz143 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5'2" and 24. I'd like to blame the 2,000 for my 100lbs over weight, but I think it's mainly cause I love food. :)

I'm at 1,200 calories a day while losing.
  • NikkiDubb
    Options
    I'm 5'1...it's a hard knock life for us, but we can do this!
  • WeightJourney77
    Options
    I'm 5'1...it's a hard knock life for us, but we can do this!

:laugh: haha love that!

We can do it together! :love:
  • Cinloykko
    Cinloykko Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    23 years old and 5'2"

Mfp had me at 1200 at first but that was way too hard for me. I always felt like I was hungry and starving. So I changed to tdee-20 instead.

I def think that this 2000 calories plus my lack of self control made me gain so much weight :-(
  • Blanche43girls4
    Blanche43girls4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am 43, 5ft 3" and my caloric intake is 1300 per day. I find this a bit challenging as well. I also dislike how my 100+ lbs looks on my small frame. Some people are overweight but "carry" it better and don't look as bad. I've never been like that...I look exactly like I am, a short woman carrying 100+ extra pounds!! :sad: Glad to have found this group...maybe we can encourage each other in our challenges!!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and a lot older than 20. Today, I'm 100.5 and 21% bf per my scale (probably underestimates a bit). I've never been overweight, but my weight has crept up from the low 90s in my 20s. I'm also certain that my body fat percentage has increased, at the very least, the way my body distributes fat has changed and as it's a result of hormonal changes in the body there doesn't seem to be much I can do about it.

I don't count calories every day, instead, I have a general idea. I assume I eat between 1200 and 1500 many days, much more when I overindulge. But if I want to lose weight, I have to be at 1150 or less. Because it's so easy to overstep, I like to go on an extreme diet for week (often less) once or twice a year. I have also found Intermittent Fasting helpful. I did Fast Five earlier in the year. While I lost five pounds in a month, which was remarkable, I lacked energy on it, so I need to find a different form, but keep putting it off.

I get so frustrated with other people in the forum who spout off about "starvation mode" on 1200 calories when I, unlike them, have actually never been overweight so give me some credit. :smile: I get equally annoyed when people act as if everyone responds to exercise in the same way and has the same goals. I mean, look around you, or look at athletes, they obviously are shaped very differently and train in a manner appropriate to their sport.

Thanks for calling the group "Short, Petite Women." What's up with females over 18 regularly referring to themselves as "girls"?
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Some people are overweight but "carry" it better and don't look as bad.

I don't carry weight well either, even thought I'm normal weight. I'm pear-shaped. If I'm wearing flattering clothing that fits I look good, but the usual rules for pear or triangle shapes hold true for me: A line shapes, Empire lines, etc.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm 5'1". My calorie goal has been 1300 calories, but honestly I've been eating more, and I haven't gained any weight back. I need to get back to this goal though so I can start losing more weight. I am a mommy as my screen name states. I have a ten month old baby boy. Right now, I'm a stay at home mom mostly, but I hope to be working full-time shortly. I walk a lot and sometimes jog or do workout videos. I have lost all my pregnancy weight, except the c-section pouch.
  • Scampydoo2
    Scampydoo2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and to this site. I'm 5'2" and have always been slight until menopause. I started in weighing 140 and my goal is 112. Glad to find a group of like minded women!
  • WeightJourney77
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to the group and to this site. I'm 5'2" and have always been slight until menopause. I started in weighing 140 and my goal is 112. Glad to find a group of like minded women!

Glad to see so many people joining my group! =D

Didn't feel like other groups fit 'me' cause everyone always bashed my low cal diet and thought I was starving myself. haha

Nice to see people with similar situations.

Feel free to message me separately (anyone) if you want someone to chat with. =) I log on daily. :flowerforyou:
  • ladybell41
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm 5ft3in. And I weigh 165lbs. I remember the days of size 6jeans now I try to find pants with elastic. Such a bummer. I also have been trying to stay around 1200 calories. It's pretty hard as I am 41 and have the appetite if a 15 yr old boy. I have lost a couple pounds but I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been eating better and munching less or not at all and exercising at least 4 or 5 times a week. And in a month I have only lost 3 lbs. I really need a lot of help to stay on track. I really hate what I see in the mirror and I hate that my husband of 2 years has to see it.
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5. I could eat 2000 calories and lose weight, but only because of my high starting weight. I'd rather get used to my maintenance of 1400-1600 healthy calories a day and let my weight figure itself out. It's hard because my husband needs about 3k calories a day, and it's easy to lose perspective of just what a reasonable portion size is.

I'm so glad there's a place for us short women! So tired of hearing how 1000 calories is a "snack" and people with low calorie needs are treated as less than.
  • WeightJourney77
    Options
    I'm 5'1.5. I could eat 2000 calories and lose weight, but only because of my high starting weight. I'd rather get used to my maintenance of 1400-1600 healthy calories a day and let my weight figure itself out. It's hard because my husband needs about 3k calories a day, and it's easy to lose perspective of just what a reasonable portion size is.

I'm so glad there's a place for us short women! So tired of hearing how 1000 calories is a "snack" and people with low calorie needs are treated as less than.

Exactly, people keep saying 800 calories per meal is normal. And all I can think of... is yeah sure it is. For one meal a day. = / If I ate three of 'there' meals I'd get so fat. haha!
  • mewilmes
    mewilmes Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have just re-vamped my rate of weight loss to .5 per week. I am back to above my original starting weight, but since I can fit into a size below what I was wearing, I'm not too bummed out, but I am perplexed. I am hoping a higher calorie per day goal will help me. My diary is open if anyone cares to comment. I go for pretty nutrient dense foods and try to even out my daily calorie intake. I think that's a good plan for me for the long run.

I am 55 and have had two foot surgeries in the last several years. I can't do impact exercise at all and am still in PT. I can't really walk for exercise because my ankle is braced and when I walk it puts stress on my hips and lower back. I exercise mainly on my exercise bike. I am on my feet most of the day at work.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm 5ft3in. And I weigh 165lbs. I remember the days of size 6jeans now I try to find pants with elastic. Such a bummer. I also have been trying to stay around 1200 calories. It's pretty hard as I am 41 and have the appetite if a 15 yr old boy. I have lost a couple pounds but I am not sure what I'm doing wrong. I've been eating better and munching less or not at all and exercising at least 4 or 5 times a week. And in a month I have only lost 3 lbs. I really need a lot of help to stay on track. I really hate what I see in the mirror and I hate that my husband of 2 years has to see it.

Are you tracking everything, and weighing everything you eat? If I do that and stick to my goal I lose weight. Exercise is good for you, but it's not that critical in weight loss. You also might want to try something like Intermittent Fasting. Look up the 5:2 plan.
  • toutmonpossible
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and have just re-vamped my rate of weight loss to .5 per week. I am back to above my original starting weight, but since I can fit into a size below what I was wearing, I'm not too bummed out, but I am perplexed. I am hoping a higher calorie per day goal will help me. My diary is open if anyone cares to comment. I go for pretty nutrient dense foods and try to even out my daily calorie intake. I think that's a good plan for me for the long run.

I am 55 and have had two foot surgeries in the last several years. I can't do impact exercise at all and am still in PT. I can't really walk for exercise because my ankle is braced and when I walk it puts stress on my hips and lower back. I exercise mainly on my exercise bike. I am on my feet most of the day at work.

If I had physical challenges and were not losing weight I would not eat more. I joined this board initially because I had an ankle injury and couldn't exercise. I wanted to monitor my weight. I did it my mainly staying around 1200 or a little under.