Mum on the Run

My boys keep me on my toes with trainings & games everyday of the week. We don't get home till 8-8.30pm almost every night. I'm needing EASY, FAST, HIGH PROTIEN meals. So far its been Meat in a slow cooker & steam fresh vege packs. But that's just getting boring. Any ideas?

Replies

• Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    edited January 2019
    We live and work on farm and have a young son that keeps us on our toes. During the busier seasons we do a lot of slow cooker meals, you can do a whole roast with sides, pulled pork or chicken to have in wraps or buns with salad, create all in one pasta dishes and heaps more. There’s a great slow cooker group on fb.
    Some sundays or quiet days I’ll bake lasagnas or large vege or pasta bakes and freeze them for another night.
    Not all meals need to be hot either, I like to always have cold meats and lettuce, tomato and cucumber on hand so I can whip up some sandwiches or wraps on a hot busy night.
    I also find changing up meals by adding different sauces and seasonings can keep things interesting for such a simple change.
  • snuffle_pup
    snuffle_pup Posts: 7 Member
    I started meal prepping this year. I 1/2 prep family meals for quick things after the evening practices, or in 1 hr between work and swimming lessons. The best part is that I get all of my cooking done on a Sunday.
    Favorites:

Tacos: prep the meat (I use half chicken or turkey and half beef) spice it up and put it into a container in the fridge. After work 5-7 minutes in a skillet while I'm heating up shells is all it takes. (total time 10 min)

Spaghetti: Again prep the meat (usually the other half of my taco meat before I add spices. Put it into a container with sauce. When I get home I put it in the skillet while my noodles are cooking. total time 15 min - the water has to boil after all. Some people like to cook noodles early too, But I haven't done that yet)

Chicken teriyaki cook chicken in a skillet, add 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup soy sauce. put in a container until the day you want to eat it. Also cook rice ahead (seal tightly and refrigerate. When I get home - heat up rice in the microwave with a little butter, heat chicken in skillet. (total time 10 min) Also work with jar sauces

Chicken curry: I cheat here. I usually buy some sort of Thai, or Indian jar curry - cook my chicken, add sauce and refrigerate. Prepare the rice as above, and heat both up as above. (total time 10 min.

Friday is a wild card. so far this year, we have done chili and sushi (not together - eww)

Add steamed veggies or precut things like peppers for any day.

***biggest key is to ensure all meat has a sauce or liberal spices to ensure it is not exposed to air to get that old leftover taste (yuck)
    ***the only think you should reheat in the microwave is stuff that you would steam or boil to cook. helps keep fresh taste.

This is the only way that I have been able to stay away from fast food.
    I hope this helps