Tracking sugar versus carbs

For tracking keto carbs, the myfitness defaults to total carbs e.g. that includes fibre. How do I track sugar carbs instead of total carbs? Or do keto people do low fibre as well in order to keep their carbs down?

Replies

• zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    edited October 2018
    I think it depends on where you are & how food labels mark it (eg US has total carbs listed while the UK, from several other discussions I’ve seen, tracks net carbs on the labels)
    I would recommend you either creating custom foods that track how _you_ want to track or find food entries that match what you are tracking _and_ the label for the specific food

Also, keep fiber high. There is a surprising amount of fiber in carb-y foods (one day all my fiber, 8g, was from the 3 Krispy Kreme donuts my wife surprised me with). I know others have figured out ways to get fiber in their diets; I am not yet one of those
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,621 Member
    I track net, so the fiber is not counted. I am in the US, so the labels have it in addition to the total. Not sure on the sugar tracking.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    I track protein, fat, carbs, fiber, and sugar...I position the fiber column next to my carbs column, so I can do the math in my head for net carbs...right now MFP doesn't have the capability to subtract fiber or sugar alcohols to calculate net carbs (I checked last night and I don't see a way to track sugar alcohols either). Some people just scroll down the list of foods for the "corrected, net carb" version, and use that.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I'm on the desktop version, so if you go to "food" and then to "settings" you can select "sugar" as a separate tracking item. I would assume the app version has a similar ability to alter what macro/micro elements you track in your food diary.

Sugar is 100% carbs, so there isn't really a reason to track it as "sugar carbs" all sugar is carbs.

Do be aware that the food entries are user created, and not everyone enters the sugar value when they create the food entry, but you can always create your own.