PMS

Options
youngmomtaz
youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
This time of month is a huge trigger point that often sets me back into my high carb binging episodes. Handfuls of chocolate chips, muffins, multiple baked potatoes, dried fruit by the handful; I can empty the pantry and decimate my weekly/monthly deficit in hours. Not fun! Today I was on the edge. Had a nap, found some zeroodles, made up a bacony, creamy, sauce that I poured over top and chowed down. I am going to preplan some very filing meals(typically I IF naturally, not so much for about 3days a month), and hope for the best. The worst is that I also take topamax for migraines and eating earlier in the day makes me more queasy. But I have a feeling if I can keep to keto I will be physically less miserable than my typical pms week.

Extra tips or tricks from the rest of you keto ladies??

Replies

• teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I suffer from migraines, too, and take several medications daily for them, so I feel your pain! PMS triggers serious carb cravings for me as well, and here are the things I typically keep on hand for those days:
    • chocolate avocado mousse
    • cheesecake fluff/Chocolate cheesecake fluff
    • chocolate peanut butter fat bombs
    • iced/hot chai lattes with SF vanilla syrup
    • ICE flavored sparkling water
    • Skinny Girl Moscato (because sometimes, Mama just wants a glass of wine!)
    • shirataki noodles
    • cheese sauce
    • crispy cheese squares
    • fathead dough
    • keto biscuits

I don't worry about my total calories for the day -I understand that it's CICO, but I'd rather go over on calories than go over on carbs and throw myself out of ketosis.
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    That was my thought too. I will focus on food as in just eating low carb for those 2-3 days my cals are going to be closer to maintenance or over but far better than completely blowing it. I like your list! Am feeling motivated today, I may add one or two of those in to my regular things on hand.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Likely you're getting close to this again, @youngmomtaz

Hopefully you found some things that helped last time, but if not, I found that any time I craved sweets, I ate salty and drank more water. Make sure to get plenty of B12, iron, vitamin C, and such to help provide your body with the building blocks to replace any blood losses, including a few extra calories at that time, too.

Taking PMS meds (like Pamprin or Midol) or making sure I'm caffeinated during that time stunts my voracious emotional hunger, too... Extra sleep.

Other weird things that helped me - heating pads, binge watching anything, tight clothing (helps compress and prevent as much swelling or cramping), unlimited pickles, any kind of non-carbonated drink - Mio or anything like that...pork rinds with dip, etc. Also, splurging out for something like shrimp or lobster with butter made me feel indulgent while still feeling compliant with plan... (hugs)

Here's to surviving...
  • youngmomtaz
    Options
    My freezer is full of low carb options as is my fridge! Unfortunately, this month as a whole has been a bust. A very close friend was severely ill after surgery and he lost his life in the end. I have spend many days with his wife both before his death and after and food was the last priority. Life is slowly getting back to normal over here, and routine is being found again. Thank you for the thread bump! It was the motivation I needed for the day!