Living The Lifestyle ( LTL ) 10/26/2018

Options
Jerdtrmndone
Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for October below:

Monday imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jerdtrmndone (Jerry

Today's Topic: How exercise works for you.

When we were Kids you probably were very active. As we age exercise or activities get tougher.

What role does exercise play in your journey whether it be for weight loss, maintenance or for your general health.

Replies

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,696 Member
    Options
    I am on a weight loss journey. Back 10 yrs. I would do a lot of walking. Today exercise is very low impact due to my arthritic knee and severe back issues. I do the pool sometimes - not near enough. Walking is in short spurts, so I need to sit for a bit then move on. My average step count is around 5-6,000. I do ride my stationary bike 20 minutes that’s my limit. I also do it for my heart and anxieties to keep it in check.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,939 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm getting no exercise other than just walking around in my daily life. There are some days I get 2-3 k steps but not 10 k steps like I should. I've had a one test old shoulder injury that just keeps breaking at me everyday. I've done the physical Therapy thing but it still aches all day every day.

I have an annual physical Monday 10/29 I'll see what my Dr. has ri say. Meantime I still need to walk

SW 400.8
    CW 350.0 🙂
    1st 340.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

50.8 lbs Total Loss
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,530 Member
    Options
    I walk and try to do my stretching and strength on the mat along with working on my back posture methodology. I hope to be able to start swimming again soon. I think exercise really helps my mindset on healthy living which supports healthy decision making.
  • EliteCoachKal
    EliteCoachKal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Exercise is huge for me at this point in my journey. I do Orange Theory Fitness 4-5 times a week. An increased activity level raises my maintenance calories and enables me to eat more and still burn fat (huge bonus!). I hit 150 pounds lost this week and have about 30 to go for my "goal weight" at that point I'll evaluate where I'm at and see where I want to go from there.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,074 Member
    Options
    Lose the word "exercise" as it is a dirty word for many folks. What is undeniably important for us is the need to move. Exercise/activity whatever you call it does in fact help a lot to regulate blood sugar (glucose) and prevent type 2 diabetes in many folks. The body doesn't care so much if it is mowing the lawn, riding a bike to the store, dancing to the oldies, or going for a walk. I totally agree with ElitecoachKal that moving allows me to eat a bit more on maintenance. I suspect that being active allowed me to lose a a bit higher rate and eat a bit more on maintenance too. I also would feel like total crrraaaaaapp if I didn't move daily.
    Yes many kids never stop moving or fidgeting and maybe we do a disservice to them to tell them to stop it.

Activity also play a huge role in my health and mental health too. Yoga helps too.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,465 Member
    Options
    Couple of things. One is, if exercise was an effective weight loss tool, I would have never needed WW. The other is, when I calculated the “extra” food I was going to get for my exercise, it wasn’t very much.

Then I noticed how mushy the calculations were. So I just didn’t consider exercise in any calculations. It provided a cushion.

Now everything is about exercise. I went back to losing mode to help my feet for Pickleball. I do yoga and Pilates to keep in shape for Pickleball, fishing (4 hrs standing)
    kayaking and biking.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,901 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Thi Chi class 2x/week, and trying to get in another online. Also attempting 3/week floor/mat/ BED excersises, stretching and some light lifting (3,5,and 8# dumb bells). Also track my steps, sometimes good, but....
  • acoustikarl
    acoustikarl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Moving more has been a huge benefit for my on my weight loss journey, especially running. I had stagnated on WL using just tracking through MFP but when I started running again on a regular basis (4 - 6 times a week) I started to lose. It has also helped me to get off a couple of the blood pressure meds I was on. If I don't get a run in for a few days now I start to feel antsy. Using running apps like Zombies, Run! and MapMyRun has helped keep me motivated and made it more enjoyable.
  • countcurt
    countcurt Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Couple of things. One is, if exercise was an effective weight loss tool, I would have never needed WW.

A few years back I realized exercise did help with weight loss. It's one of the few things in my life I can't seem to manage doing while eating at the same time. So for me, anytime spent exercising is time I can't spend eating. For a boredom eater, it's a real time-filler.

Fortunately I like physical activity. And the dog has never been fitter.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I find it varies. When I have / make the time, I just include a bunch of walking. During the winter, I'll snowshoe as well. My good intentions for doing C25K training didn't happen but I haven't given up on it.

Enjoying being more active is one of the things that I think is a real benefit to life in a smaller body. I can't say I've overdone it on that front, but I'm hoping the change to a smaller piece of property, shorter driveway, less snow and longer growing season will help me make some strides there. I do realize that keeping mobile is one of the best things I can do as I age, so there's no time like the present.