We will remember to lift in November!

Options
lkpducky
lkpducky Posts: 16,754 Member
Starting thread...but I will have to wait until Friday to post a workout.

Replies

• hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    This makes me happy! Our minds must be similar- you can go back and look, but my title last year was “remember remember the lifts of November” all bonfire night style. (As mentioned, used my only good idea up). I was supposed to lift tonight, but then I locked myself out of my apartment, and by the time I got let back in, a neighbor had invited me to “trick or drink”
  • lkpducky
    Options
    I do remember! and I get the reference (husband from the UK).
  • lkpducky
    Options
    20 minutes arm crank ergometer
    Close grip lat pulldown 3 x 8 @ 60 lb
    Seated rows 3 x 8 @ 40 lb
    Back hyperextension unweighted 2 x 12
    DB bench press 20 lb 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 6
    OHP 3 x 8 @ 7.5 lb
  • hanlonsk
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I am so totally lacking in motivation. But today almost resembled normality.
    Started with some banded mobility stuff. Bent over/ Hangy down with bar stuff, good mornings, etc
    10x45lb box squats
    2x5@55 squats
    5x5@65 squats

5x45 ohp
    5x5 @ 50 ohp

3x10 @20 lb plate swings

Then I finally got motivated to put my plyo box together... ooooo soooo many screws

Then romwod- ouch

Eta - @lkpducky I somehow just noticed you post in the runner thread too. I love seeing overlap between these too worlds. Now I just gotta find my darn wagons and get back on both myself.
  • r0wana3
    r0wana3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I finished my first week of SL5x5. I feel like it’s going sooo slow and I really am wanting to hit the gym on my rest days.... which I haven’t at all this week. Maybe I’m just being impatient.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @hanlonsk glad to see that you are here and on the runners challenge thread as well.

@r0wana3 I understand how it feels to want to be doing something on rest days. Those rest days are just as important for getting stronger, although rest days can be restless days. It will get better!

I ran 8.6 miles this morning, so tomorrow will be weights and the arm crank erg.
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    I should really report while, or immediately after lifting, because I’m not sure I can remember what I did, now.

Yesterday:
    1.9 mile run
    Romwod

Squats
    10x45lb squats
    5 @ 65lb
    5x5 @ 70lb squats
    I did a lot of these as a squat to a target (12#box) for depth practice

Bench
    10 x 45
    5 x 65
    5 x 85
    5 x 5 @ 95

Seems like I did something else, but I can’t remember what it might be. But I did rearrange the gym room to make the new toys work better, so maybe that’s why it seems like I did a whole nother workout.

Today:
    Romwod
    3x10 @ 45 lb box squats
    I supersetted these - first two rounds was 10x45 lb good mornings, the third round was 10 x hang down stretchy thingys with the bar.
    Yes, I’m doing a lot of squats, but they are all very light sets, because I’m still trying to be happy with form. But also why I made today’s empty bar box squats, still keep it going, but take a bit of the tension off.

Deadlifts
    10 @ 65
    10 @ 85
    4 x 5 @ 115. Then decided I was definately copping out, and went and found my big kid plates.
    5 x 5 @ 135.
    I videoed a couple sets of the last two weights. Determined I either have some lower back rounding, or wayyyy more muffin top than even I thought. Realistically it’s more likely the latter... sigh... I guess that’s what happens when I eat like an ahole and don’t hardly workout for 6 months.
    I also noticed I am not keeping tension and focus on the last rep, which is going to get me hurt... so need to fix that

Then barbell shrugs
    2 x 10 @ 45
    2 x 10 @ 65
  • lkpducky
    Options
    No wonder you want to log the workout immediately, there's a lot to remember!

Just got back from the gym. I stuck to upper body today because of my 8.6 mile run yesterday. My legs actually don't feel too bad (I walked 3 miles today) but I didn't want to take chances and get another pulled hamstring, quad or hip flexor.

20 minutes standing arm crank erg, crank forward 10 minutes then backward 10 minutes
    Lat pulldowns close grip (palms facing) 3 x 8 @ 60 lb
    OHP 1 x 12, 1 x 8 @ 20 lb
    Bench press 5 x 5 @ 20 lb DBs
    Seated rows 3 x 8 @ 40 lb
    Tricep pulldowns 3 x 8 @ 15 lb
    Lat pulldowns close grip palms backward (looks like chin-ups) 3 x 8 @ 70 lb
    Tried again with the upper arm rotation (upper arm close to torso, lower arm at a 90 degree angle, starting position hand in front of stomach, pulling a cable rotating outward). This is a PT exercise for my left shoulder. And I CAN'T do it with a cable machine, only with a red resistance band. ARG!
    This is the exercise: number 9 on this page https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/recovery/rotator-cuff-and-shoulder-conditioning-program/
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    Haha - realistically if I would get back on a plan it might be easier to keep track of.

As to the exercise- so long as you are progressing it still works. especially if it was given as a pt exercise, clearly you have a good pt who can identify where weaknesses are. :)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I haven't been around these parts lately, so I figured I'd drop in real quick. Things have been... not really hectic, but definitely stressful and mentally exhausting, so checking in just hasn't been a priority. Maybe I should though, as I haven't been having the greatest consistency or energy to hit the workouts lately. I have not caught up with the past thread and posts yet, but I'm glad to see there are still some of you gals going at it!

So while I'm here, I'll share yesterday's session. I'm back to doing a 5/3/1 hybrid, btw:

Barbell clean warm-up into a 10 min EMOM
    - 1 hang power clean + 1 hang squat clean @ 95lbs
    - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 push-ups in the rest of the minute

(I did not want to push the push-ups too much, because...)
    Barbell Bench, 3+
    WU: 45x10, 65x7, 75x4
    Work sets: 90x3, 107.5x3, 115x6
    (it would've taken 7 at 115 to "beat" my previous week's E1RM (137.5). but I wasn't feeling great yesterday so I'll take it)
    Back-off set: 95x8

I did 12 lunge jumps, 20 walking lunges, then 12 weighted (2x10lbs DBs, set on my shoulders) walking lunges x12 between the sets

And I did some standing calf raises because they've been bricky since saturday. They feel better today, so I shall do some jump rope when I get back tomorrow. :)
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Glad to see you @krokador, hang in there! Sorry to hear that you've been having a rough go of it. Looks like you did great!

I'm debating what workout to do today - I ran 4.2 yesterday and my legs felt beat up while I ran (not enough recovery from Sunday's 8.6?) Not sure whether to do lighter weight squats or deadlifts, if it would help recovery.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Walked to the gym (1.5 miles), did the arm crank erg 20 minutes, walked back
    Later, I kept thinking I want to run I want to run! Gave up and ran 3 miles. Felt great.
    Also did my PT exercises.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    I have been a slacker and it shows. Just got a DEXA scan. I have lost muscle and gained fat (most of it in my midsection). 36% !! I know what I have to do...logging (well I have been, I lost 6 pounds in 3 months), back to lifting, and running. BAH
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Oops forgot to record today's workout.
    5 minutes warmup on the arm crank erg
    Close grip lat pulldowns 3 x 8 @ 60 lb
    Tricep pulldowns 3 x 8 @ 17.5 lb
    OHP 3 x 8 @ 10 lb
    DB bench press 5 x 5 @ 22.5 lb (slowly progressing back)
    Seated rows 1 x 12 @ 40 lb, 2 x 8 @ 50 lb

Treadmill 3 miles ranging from 12:00/mile to 11:20/mile
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Two more workouts in the bin, they sucked. Was not able to hit my rep goals and I just feel super weak overall, and not like doing any conditioning whatsoever, too. And that is despite getting more sleep this week than I had been in a long, long time :/

Wednesday:

Squats - weird story about this. The mirror in front of me had been removed. IDK if it's because I had no visual cues, but every set past 75 felt heavily lopsided to the left (which is usually my strong side) even though I seemed centered well enough :/

45x10, 75x8, 95x6, 105x4
    125x3, 145x3, 162.5x5 (but barely)
    125x... I want to say 7? It was probably 6. Or 8. Or 9. I remember losing count on this one, but that,s it xD

Paired with barbell leg-assisted pull-ups. Sets of 9 or 10, but I think I was using more assistance than usual...

Um, I then did an EMOTM x8 of 1 power snatch into a hang squat snatch. My memory's crap. I could walk a few steps to my gym bag and get the log but... meh. Worked from 75 to 85 in that emom.

Then I finished off with Burpees, 4x1 min AMRAP (45s rest) . 14/15/14/14 for a total of 57 (I had gotten 52 with 1 min rest between sets about 2 weeks back).

So at least something is improving.

Thursday:

Deadlifts 45x10, 95x8, 115x6, 135x4
    165x3, 190x3, 212.5x7 (goal was to hit 9 reps. My position didn't feel right though, so I didn't push it. #6 was already starting to be grindy, anyway)
    165x12

alternated with OHP
    35x10, 45x7, 55x5
    65x3, 75x3, 82.5x5 (goal was 7)
    65x10 ?

Was a little psyched out with the deadlifts and i think it affected my OHP? Or the push-ups I did in the warm-up did? IDK.

Finished off with
    - 50 hollow swings from bar
    - 100 sit-outs (total)
    - 100 KB swings @ 20kg (45lbs)

for time, as a grinder. Took 17 minutes or so. Which is awful. And I blistered my hands up on the swings. If you're ever in the market for gymnsatics grips, avoid the wodnation ones. They are NOT worth anything. I'v heard good things about picsils, though, so I may ask for a pair of them for xmas, ha.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Ouch @krokador that's a lot! sorry to hear that you didn't feel good.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Warmup 5 minutes arm crank
    Close grip lat pulldowns (hands facing each other) 3 x 8 @ 50 lb (deloaded slightly)
    Seated rows 3 x 10 @ 40 lb
    DB bench press 2 x 8, 1 x 6 @ 22.5 lb
    Romanian DL 1 x 8 @ 70 lb, 2 x 8 @ 50 lb
    OHP 3 x 5 @ 12.5 lb db
    Goblet squats 3 x 8 @ 22.5 lb
    Arm crank another 10 minutes. Felt stiff and tired

I felt spasms in my right quad, which may explain my right leg giving out late in long runs. Right leg must be weak.

I saw one woman in the gym who I am guessing is at least 60 (maybe even a young-looking 70?) well-muscled and lean. She's doing great and I want to do like she's doing!
  • lkpducky
    Options
    So much for running outside

xd3ficxe1d72.jpg
  • hanlonsk
    Options
    So, I like kind of followed plan today. Who’da thunk it!

Squats - 5x5 @ 65 - these felt surprisingly good until the last set. In fact, the last set had 6 reps because I really didn’t like my 5th rep enough to want to end on it.

Rows - 5x5 @ 65 (when was the last time I did rows???) I did these before bench so I wouldn’t change my mind. These felt surprisingly good, also

Bench - 5 @ 65, 5 @ 85, 1 @ 95, 4x5 + 3 and a roll of shame @ 100 - it was maybe even 3x5+ 3, I’m not entirely certain I didn’t lose count. But damnit I have something back to triple digits!

Leg raises 2x10
  • lkpducky
    Options
    Great job @hanlonsk ! yay triple digits, so what if there's a roll of shame! That's a hallmark of effort.

Walked to the gym, did upper body only (legs still sore and I think there's a strain in my right quad? hip flexor?)
    Close grip lat pulldowns (palms facing): 1 x 15 @ 50 lb, 3 x 10 @ 60 lb. Tried 70 and could only do 3.
    Seated rows 3 x 10 @ 50 lb, getting easy, but could not pull back the cable enough to do 60 lb.
    OHP 1 x 10, 1 x 5, 1 x 4 @ 30 lb
    DB Bench press 2 x 8, 1 x 7 @ 22.5 lb
    Tricep pulldowns 3 x 8 @ 17.5 lb