Halloween

Options
10b7hrgksu5d.jpg

This is what my 13yo hauled in in 1.5 hrs of trick or treating. Mind you, we half refilled our bowl for handing out from her haul before I took this picture.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Gave this out tonight. d09i3fbxcagd.jpg
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Gave this out tonight. d09i3fbxcagd.jpg

We definitely got some of those, also mini play dohs and a fake plastic finger!
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    My strategy for Halloween used to be to buy only candy I don't like and wouldn't be tempted to eat (gummies, sour etc.) This year my mom is living with us and she always has a stash of chocolate. So I bought chocolate bars I knew she liked and the leftovers are hers. I was slightly tempted to eat a Kit Kat, but I had some Lilly dark chocolate squares instead and I didn't eat any sugar!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My kids must eat gluten free, and one child is nut free, so I make a point of giving away GF and nut free foods first, so if we have leftovers, no one can eat the extras anyhow. ;)

I let my kids eat candy on that night, and then they can keep 15 items. The rest is stored in the basement (if it has gluten and nuts) or tossed/given away.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My kids must eat gluten free, and one child is nut free, so I make a point of giving away GF and nut free foods first, so if we have leftovers, no one can eat the extras anyhow. ;)

I let my kids eat candy on that night, and then they can keep 15 items. The rest is stored in the basement (if it has gluten and nuts) or tossed/given away.

They ate some candy the night of (nothing too wild), then I let them each fill a quart sized ziploc with whatever of their haul they desired. The rest of it (must be 12-15lbs) is put away in three separate grocery store bags in a drawer in my bedroom.

I am trying to find a place to donate the leftovers.

I've been good, only eaten 3 small almond joys, lol
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    www.halloweencandybuyback.com

There are several drop-off sites in my area. Most of them are dentists collecting excess/unwanted candy to ship to our miliary overseas. Bet there are a few good men and women who would love a Snickers about now. :*
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    www.halloweencandybuyback.com

There are several drop-off sites in my area. Most of them are dentists collecting excess/unwanted candy to ship to our miliary overseas. Bet there are a few good men and women who would love a Snickers about now. :*

Yeah I already looked into those. None in my area (within 20 miles). In years past, we have done this at a local dentist who paid 0.25$/lb for the leftover candy and then worked with one of these programs to send the candy to deployed military. My kids would do cards or draw pictures to go with the candy. Sadly, about 4 years ago this dentist stopped hosting and I haven't found a replacement. I don't even care about the 0.25$, just want to get rid of excess to the benefit of someone else.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Maybe soup kitchens would take it for desserts?