IF and Hunger

Options
gwendyprism
gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
So yesterday I tried to extend my overnight fast by not eating breakfast until noon. I just had my cuppa tea in the morning with 1 T heavy cream and Stevia. Then some lemon water. It wasn't hard for me to wait until noon to eat. I felt a few twinges of hunger, but they passed quickly. But what I did notice is that once I ate at noon (2 eggs and 2 sausage links)it seemed like I was much hungrier the rest of the day. I ended up eating over 1500 calories yesterday, where I'm usually 1200-1300 range.
Does anyone else notice this was IF? Do you eventually adjust to normal?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I always find that my appetite doesn't kick in until I eat, and for me it doesn't really matter when that is...if I eat my first meal at 1pm, or my first meal at 6pm, you can bet I'll have an appetite the rest of the day.
  • bluebent1
    bluebent1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing IF and I haven't found any increased hunger. I usually bring a bulletproof coffee to work (1 tbsp coconut oil and 1tbls butter with a teaspoon of davinci sugar free caramel syrup) and drink it at my desk between 9 and 10 a.m.) I eat lunch at 12:30 but am not actually hungry when I do. I eat supper around 6:00 p.m and am good for the night. I haven't felt any hunger at all which is lovely! Maybe you need to add more fat to your tea or coffee in the mornings to tide you over until lunchtime?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I noticed that when my carbs were higher - if I skipped breakfast I ended up eating more.

Now, with very low carbs, I sort of drifted into IF by accident. I only eat that way if not hungry, which only happens on some days while low carb. I have some days where I won't eat for 20 hours, but then other days I barely hit 8 hours. LOL ;)
  • gwendyprism
    Options
    I'll keep experimenting with it. Yesterday didn't eat until noon again. I didn't notice that I was more hungry than usual the rest of the day like I was the first time.
  • gwendyprism
    Options
    Third day of not eating until noon on Saturday and I found I really was satisfied quickly when eating. I lost a couple pounds since starting IF so I'm going to continue probably 6 days a week.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,423 Member
    Options
    I practice IF. To be fair, I technically also did so while getting tremendously fat. It's what feels natural to me. I am not strict about it, but generally I don't eat until at least 11am and maybe not until 2pm, just depending. Sometimes I eat earlier, etc. It's about fitting my life, not fitting my life to it.
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    So yesterday I tried to extend my overnight fast by not eating breakfast until noon. I just had my cuppa tea in the morning with 1 T heavy cream and Stevia.

Heavy cream unfortunately breaks a fast. If you are accidentally breaking your fast early I think that makes sense why you are getting hungry. Bulletproof coffee/oils/butter/half-and-half/creams all break a fast.

I found this video helpful for what does and doesn't break a fast.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LftmhASRlEc

Some people are even stricter and believe that only water doesn't break a fast. I personally only have black coffee or plain herbal, non-fruit teas while fasting.
  • gwendyprism
    Options
    So yesterday I tried to extend my overnight fast by not eating breakfast until noon. I just had my cuppa tea in the morning with 1 T heavy cream and Stevia.

Heavy cream unfortunately breaks a fast. If you are accidentally breaking your fast early I think that makes sense why you are getting hungry. Bulletproof coffee/oils/butter/half-and-half/creams all break a fast.

Some people are even stricter and believe that only water doesn't break a fast. I personally only have black coffee or plain herbal, non-fruit teas while fasting.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I just don't like tea without some kind of creamer and figured I'd rather have real cream than all the artificial ingredients, soybean oil etc in creamers. I didn't get hungry until after I ate lunch (break fast?) at noon.
    But this only seemed to be a problem the first day I tried skipping breakfast. Now I dont notice any increased hunger after eating my first meal of the day.

I'm sure you're right about the cream, but as long as I'm losing, Im not going to worry about it for now. Focusing on progress not doing it perfectly. When I hit a stall, then I'll adjust to more clean food and technique.