Living the Lifestyle - Friday Nov. 16

savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for November below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Thursday - EliteCoachKal (Kal)
Friday - savignr (Bob)

Today’s Topic: T minus 6 and counting

Six days left until Thanksgiving. What is your strategy:

1) Stay on plan until then, and stay on plan on Thanksgiving Day?

2) Stay on plan until then, then let it rip on Thanksgiving Day? If so, total disregard to points/calories or controlled frenzy?

3) Let Thanksgiving Day turn into Thanksgiving Week?

4) Other?

Alternate questions: One of my favorite memories is my mother making about a dozen pies for the Day, more than enough for the dessert and plenty to take home. What is your favorite pie? And can anyone tell me what is in mincemeat pie? Never had the nerve to ask.

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    I am probably going to end up with #2, and a controlled frenzy. We have buffet reservations at 1:30, so this will likely be the only full meal of the day for me. I'll eat something late morning to take the edge off, and likely have a sandwich or something light in the evening. I have learned to walk the buffet line first and pick out what I really want, and that has helped me in the past. Despite the alternate question, I am not really a big dessert eater, so unless there is something over the top there (think chocolate mousse), I'll probably pass on it.

Alternate: For Thanksgiving, always apple pie. Not a big fan or pumpkin, and mincemeat scared me. At least the way my mom made it, it was not a color found in nature.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,525 Member
    #2 sorta. I don’t do frenzy. And not currently tracking on maintenance. But when tracking there was just no way I was doing Thanksgiving within my points without tying myself in knots for the entire week. I think when I started pumpkin pie was 9 points minimum. Kinda a small piece and no whipped cream.
    Thanksgiving wasn’t happening for me without pumpkin pie. And that 9 point piece wasn’t my idea of how it was going to go. So my choices were mess up my week, fudge my tracking (lie) or take Thanksgiving off.

But how off? So my strategy since starting WW has been, make the better choice, generous serving of white meat turkey, and whatever veggies are available. Skip the mashed potatoes. Easy on or skip the bread. Enjoy the pie. Works fine. It’s just one day. But just because I’ve never tracked Thanksgiving has not been not license to run amuck.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,549 Member
    I am cooking the entree and stuffing for my son and DIL. They are bring sides and a dessert. We're all about enjoying ourselves, but try to do so with sensible portions. Stuffing is my downfall; but, I've learned to let it have its way for one day a year.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    At this time of year you can buy mincemeat filling in a jar at the local grocery store. Both my father and father-in-law very much enjoyed that I would make them a pie. My father insisted that the piecrust be made with lard. We lost both dads in 2005 (my dad was 88, father-in-law was 95). When I see the mincemeat jars in the store, I never fail to remember those pies! I never ate it as it looked too scary to me. I'm really not a pie person, I'd rather have cake.

#4 I will eat more than normal on Thanksgiving but not to the point of being overfull and comatose like I would in my obese years.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,587 Member
    Pretty much #2. I'll not have the mashed potatoes (too ordinary) or stuffing (reall don't much care for it). Will eat the sauted brussles sprouts with onions and BACON that DD makes), some turkey, some of my baked squash, a small portion of my famous "Freedom Beans" (which DYS will make), definately pumkin pie (but probably not the crust) and a few Sam Adams Boston Lagers. :)
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    #2 Sorta
    I told DW I want a piece of pumpkin pie! I like PIE, but only get it at Thanksgiving when our DIL prepares everything at our family gathering. We are not traveling with my Rehab so I will have a piece of pie.

Bonus Favorite? Too many to count LOL
    Apple, lemon meringue, blueberry CHERRY OMG!

My mother did make mincemeat pie on a rare occasion.