Options
2»

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,424 Member
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 @BMcC9

It looks like we are all going to arrive at maintenance in nearly the same time! Congrats.

I am starting to think about just how I will step my way into increasing calories in. I find the thought of changing anything a bit unsettling. After all the hard work to get here, I don't want to derail myself in the next step!

There is a Maintenance Board, and probably good advice on how to make the transition in the pinned threads at the top there. And there are maintainers here who can tell us how they managed the change-over.

I know that one should allow about 6 weeks of transition / fine-tuning / readjustment

DECADES ago, when I was in WW and a person reached Goal, the advice was to add a bit of extra food per week until you stopped losing. Judging by the ads, the program and how their "point system" works has changed multiple times since then, but this kind of behavioral adaptation strategy still seems sound.

So maybe (when the time comes) see what MPF says your maintenance calorie allotment would be; divide the difference by 6; add in THAT many extra calories per week while keeping things like your normal-these-days exercise burn the same. Or start eating back ALL your exercise calories (if you are not currently doing so). MFP will take care of apportioning the macro re-distribution - you "just" keep making choices that keep you in the green while at the top of your Daily Total Calories number.

In terms of mechanics, that's not really so different from what we had to go through in terms of logging and self-awareness at the very beginning when we had to transition from lazy choices to healthy choices.

(At least, that's the mind-set I intend to launch from)
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    My goal for 2019 is increased strength, stamina and agility and to reach a healthy BMI
  • BMcC9
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »

After that, it will be a question of fine tuning where I want my Maintenance Zone to be (absolute top range 135-139 lbs, but may end up with 135 lbs as either the middle or the top end ... being 60 yrs old, I doubt I will aim as low as the charted dead-centre of Normal Zone for my height (BMI = 20), which would be 124 lbs.

Hi @BMcC9 !
    Congratulations on all that you have accomplished!

I believe the normal range for BMI runs from 18.5 to 24.9. And I have read that many doctors recommend not going below 20.

So I set my GW to BMI = 22.5.
    3.4 to 4.4 lbs to go :D
    Down ~ 74-75.

Please let me know if I’ve got this wrong!

You didn't get it wrong, I just mis-remembered the factor I don't pay as much attention to.

124 lbs (for me) is actually BMI = ~ 22. It is still the dead-center and recommended target of my Wii Fit Plus weight-tracking exergame, and I still think it might be a bit low for me, given my time of life.

When setting each 1 lb mini-goal target, always first thing in the morning, I register the "a good (final) weight for you" poundage but don't really register the equivalent BMI number. I just let the program worry about that part.

When I posted the above (in the evening) I THOUGHT I remembered that "20" was mid-zone. This morning I met my current mini-goal, and while setting the next one, realized the mistake.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,045 Member
    Options

After that, it will be a question of fine tuning where I want my Maintenance Zone to be (absolute top range 135-139 lbs, but may end up with 135 lbs as either the middle or the top end ... being 60 yrs old, I doubt I will aim as low as the charted dead-centre of Normal Zone for my height (BMI = 20), which would be 124 lbs.

Hi @BMcC9 !
    Congratulations on all that you have accomplished!

I believe the normal range for BMI runs from 18.5 to 24.9. And I have read that many doctors recommend not going below 20.

So I set my GW to BMI = 22.5.
    3.4 to 4.4 lbs to go :D
    Down ~ 74-75.

Please let me know if I’ve got this wrong!

You didn't get it wrong, I just mis-remembered the factor I don't pay as much attention to.

124 lbs (for me) is actually BMI = ~ 22. It is still the dead-center and recommended target of my Wii Fit Plus weight-tracking exergame, and I still think it might be a bit low for me, given my time of life.

When setting each 1 lb mini-goal target, always first thing in the morning, I register the "a good (final) weight for you" poundage but don't really register the equivalent BMI number. I just let the program worry about that part.

When I posted the above (in the evening) I THOUGHT I remembered that "20" was mid-zone. This morning I met my current mini-goal, and while setting the next one, realized the mistake.

@BMcC9
    Oh, no worries! I totally get it.😀

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 @BMcC9

It looks like we are all going to arrive at maintenance in nearly the same time! Congrats.

I am starting to think about just how I will step my way into increasing calories in. Ii find the thought of changing anything a bit unsettling. After all the hard work to get here, I don't want to derail myself in the next step!

@jan110144 @BMcC9

I’m delighted to have fellow UAC-ers to navigate early maintenance together!
    And to have successful veterans to show us it can be done & share helpful strategies!!

My approach so far:

Gave myself 2-3 years beginning 1/1/16 to lose the weight.

I originally just aimed to lose 5% of my weight which gives you health gains & the 10%...then under 200lbs. At that point, I aimed for a BMI of 25 for my height if 5’9” which was 169lbs (and joined several apps.)

Got to 169 (from 228) in May 2018.
    Realized:
    1) I still had fat (bummer)
    2) I was only 5’8.5”, not 5’9”
    3) The Normal range began at 24.9, not 25.

It was discouraging, especially #1, but I regrouped & cut my monthly loss from 4lbs per month to 2-3 lbs per month. Now I shoot for 1.5 to 2 lbs a month.

So I’ve been slowly easing into maintenance since September. I don’t expect I’ll be doing much differently when the scale finally hits 150 (or 148).

I have read the Maintenance Thread on MFP for quite awhile now. And made these changes because of it:

* I have used monthly average weights all along, but began tracking weekly average weights since that is the method they use for the current month.

* Began using a trend app they highly recommend (for advance notice of when scale is going up.)

* I know they recommend a 5lb range, but my weight varies very little. So, I’m considering a “Immediately diet if your daily weight goes to 150 or above.” Likely I’ll lose until I’m 148, so I can just think “Stay in the 140’s!” I’m not worried at all about getting too thin. 😂

* That the folks I’ve on MFP that gained & came back averaged *very small gains* per week. Usually 150 calories or so. But they gained 15 to 50 lbs back s l o w l y. That’s what I’ve done in the past. It’s made me very committed to logging summary average data each week & month to catch these small changes in the wrong direction so I can fix them early.

In Partnership,
    Maddie
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Dec 30
    Yes x 3
    I think UAC helps me the most at the end of the month!!
    The red peaks on exercise graph were walking up & down 7 fairly high steps repeatedly. Fueled by rare (for me) caffeinated iced tea Hahaha! I will do more stairs in future. Best part of daily exercise: I’m not sore!

583nvwo8xq24.png
    cape2bu8yrv7.png
  • BMcC9
    edited December 2018
    Options

@BMcC9
    Oh, no worries! I totally get it.😀

My reply was more so you would know I get it, and am not aiming stupidly low ....
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Thought I’d re-post these maintenance tips from Nov UAC members, @victorious55 @w8goal4life.

@jan110144 @BMcC9

victorious55 wrote:
    I have been in maintenance for a over 8yrs. For me tracking, exercises, mindset that food is a fuel for my body. If I am kind to my body, it will serve me very well. I have no explanation, apology to anybody for the way I have chosen to take care my body (my earthly, precious, and superior car).
    @MadisonMolly2017 -
    Adjust your MFP settings to maintenance, continue tracking, exercises, etc., for the next few weeks and see how it affect your weight. Adjust as needed until you see you weight within the range set by you and your doctor.
    Surround yourself with like minded people. That is why I am in this group. UAC.
    Remind yourself that this is a life style. It is okay, there is nothing wrong with it. There is no recess after you have reach your goal. (I have known people who have sabotage their goal by not recognizing that this is a life style)
    Keep eating your healthy stuff, continue your good habits. People around will be influence by you.
    Continue in whatever habits got you to your goal. They will become second nature to you.
    Never beat yourself when you fall off the wagon. Get up, forgive yourself, and continue.
    Continue learning. I am always reading, etc.

Any other person with maintenance info? Please add to this list and let all learn. :smiley:
    w8goal4life wrote: »
    » show previous quotes
    Excellent suggestions @victorious55. Couldn't have said it better myself. I can particularly identify with your comment that "there is no recess after you have reached your goal." :) There are several of us in this UAC challenge who are in maintenance. My congratulations to each and every one of them for their persistent diligence! I am so very pleased to be among such good company!

@victorious55 & @w8goal4life
    Thank you so much for these tips & insights! I am glad there are many of you are already successfully maintaining as it reassures me (and has spurred me on for many months).

I agree with you re: UAC being such good company❣❣❣❣
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 great posts
    Thank you. Question ... what trending app do you use?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 great posts
    Thank you. Question ... what trending app do you use?

@jan110144 thank you!
    I use Happy Scale (Apple App)
    I think Android users have mentioned Libra.
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    Options
    @victorious55 and @MadisonMolly2017 My favorite quote above is "There is no recess after you have reached your goal." That is the bane of the post-dieter...they go back to their previous normal.
    Congratulations to you both and well done, @BMcC9