Fat adaption

Options
Hi. Probably a silly question - Is there a way to know if you are Fat adapted? I’m assuming it’s a matter of being in ketosis for a period of time but how do you actually know?

Replies

• qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    The only true way I know of is to take an RMR test at a Dexafit type facility. Nothing painful: You lay on a chair and breath into a mask for 17 minutes and it analyzes your breath to give you 1. Calories burned at rest 2. Resting heart rate and 3. Your fat burn/sugar burn %.

However, if you have stuck to strict keto for around 8-10 weeks you are likely there or just about there.

https://www.ketovale.com/signs-you-are-fat-adapted/

The constant energy was my signal that it happened more than anything else. I now use Carbs for near instant fuel before workouts etc.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 2-4 months will have you fat adapted. Probably. It could take longer for those who cycle carbs or eat more carbs.

Some can tell by their workouts. Some get a spring in their step at that time.

I noticed a (disturbing) cognitive improvement around then too.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo if you don't mind, disturbing because of other things going on at that time? or because you felt/feel more on the ball/on top of things and it was scary because of the unexpected difference?
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »
    @nvmomketo if you don't mind, disturbing because of other things going on at that time? or because you felt/feel more on the ball/on top of things and it was scary because of the unexpected difference?

Hopefully the answer isn't "Well I work on this research base off the coast of Costa Rica, where this new animal we've engineered is being tested on a ketogenic diet of high human fat and protein".

Anywho, I've asked this same question, mainly to make sure I wasn't going to ruin months of work for the sake of holiday eating. The slow burn of energy with keto is certainly noticeable. I can just do tasks for ages without needing to take a break. That, hunger control, and the reduced inflammation really are what being in ketosis is like for me, I think.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    zanyterp wrote: »

LOL The second choice. ;)

I knew that I wasn't as sharp as I had been when I was younger but the cognitive improvements I felt once I'd been ketogenic for a few months was quite noticeable to me, and even to my husband... That someone else could notice any improvement in my thinking and memory was disturbing and scary to me - that I could possibly be on the road to dementia helped me stick to LCHF with more conviction than others may experience.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    @CentaurusSoter LOL (on the animal, though it would be pretty cool. other than the fear factor). i agree on the hunger control and just being able to work. i think i am very blessed that i haven't (yet) had inflammation issues from my weight

@nvmomketo thank you for being willing to share. those sound like good reasons to me
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When I started keto I had to walk during my runs which is something I have never done much of. It felt like my legs had lead in them. After two or three months I could feel a noticeable change in my energy level. I do well with diet but probably hurt my fat adaption with a nightly glass of scotch and wine with dinner.