Living the Lifestyle - Friday November 23

savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for November below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Thursday - EliteCoachKal (Kal)
Friday - savignr (Bob)

Today's topic - How did you do?

Last Friday, we talked about our plan leading up to Thanksgiving Day. Three possible approaches were discussed:

1) Stay on plan until the big day, then stay on plan for Thanksgiving.
2) Stay on plan until the big day, then go all in on Thanksgiving.
3) Turn Thanksgiving Day into Thanksgiving Week.

So which plan did you pick last week, and how did you execute - successfully, somewhat successfully, or not at all?

Alternate question - Black Friday plans?

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    My plan was to follow #1 above. I wasn't altogether great in the days leading up, but didn't have a major blow out either. We went out to a restaurant buffet yesterday; it just didn't make sense to go through all that cooking for just the four of us.

Overall, I stayed on plan yesterday. I had a sampling of a few different things like chicken marsala with pasta, some turkey and ham, couple tablespoons of cranberries (interestingly, that one was the hardest to hold back on), and an amazing sausage, sage, and focaccia stuffing. Two small pieces of chocolate for dessert. A 300 calorie snack late morning, and that was my day.

Bottom line - Goal calories 2250, personal target 2000, actual 2320. On the plus side, I had a 3.5 mile walk in the morning, good for a bit over 500 calories.

All told, happy with my result. Now to keep it up.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,696 Member
    We scaled down the menu a bit. No stuffing/dressing. I used the "island" method for loading the big plate to help me focus on smaller portions of things without packing out the plate. My biggest issue was snacking during the day and turkey skin and small pieces while carving and cleaning up. Not my best work.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    DW and I Had a frozen Marie Callendar dinners. Had a tiny pumpkin pie ( smaller than a Moon Pie) Scanned it said 15 SPs!

Very unusual Thanksgiving, will be with Family next year. No travel with post op Rehab going on.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,525 Member
    Frankly, it was tough. And I ended up eating more than planned. Right up to the edge of uncomfortabley full.

Black Friday plans- try to eat better. Another day of limited picks. Need to get out of this travel eating rut.
  • michael_atx
    michael_atx Posts: 44 Member
    edited November 2018
    I didn't go all in like I would have done in years past -- I ate probably more than I should have done, but I didn't hate myself afterwards either. Went for 30 minute walk after dinner, then had a cup of green tea before it was time for pie. Dinner total including pie (and zero point foods like turkey and roasted vegetables) was 59 points. I'm absolutely fine with it.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,197 Member
    SW 400.8
    CW 348.8 🙁 + 2.6 lbs
    1st 340.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

52.0 lbs Total Loss
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    I did better on Thanksgiving than I did while doing food prep on Wednesday.

Wednesday I did "quality control" on my stuffing muffins plus got into a cake I had made the previous weekend but had not yet divided up and frozen. I was uncomfortably full in the late afternoon/evening.

Thursday was much better. I had time for a good weights/treadmill session at the gym. Then got busy with the final preparations. I had a little of everything at our meal but was not overfull.

Alternative question: #OPTOUTSIDE! I headed up to Wisconsin early Friday morning and rode 70 miles in the Elkhart Lake area. It was a great day to be outside!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited November 2018
    1) Stay on plan until the big day, then stay on plan for Thanksgiving.
    2) Stay on plan until the big day, then go all in on Thanksgiving.
    3) Turn Thanksgiving Day into Thanksgiving Week.

So which plan did you pick last week, and how did you execute - successfully, somewhat successfully, or not at all?

None of the above. I was traveling on Thanksgiving, trying to get to an intermediate end point on my move before Winter sets in in-earnest. I listened to a lot of food programs on NPR that day and was moved by 'real-time' stories of people displaced by the fires in CA. It actually nearly brought me to tears--to think of both the first-responders and the victims fighting for their lives--many of them having lost virtually everything. Their gratitude for so little, which is at this time so much--was really moving. I didn't have big Thanksgiving plans anyway, but if I had, I think it would be toned them down. It's hard to be gluttonous with those stories as a backdrop.

Alternate question - Black Friday plans?

Winter prep at the "old place". Tractor and snowblower tuned and ready to work if needed. Hoping not much need before packing up, but just in case... A little attempt at photography in the late-afternoon. Nothing noteworthy--some days are like that. Nice to be out though.