Carnivore Questions

Options
tcunbeliever
tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
I'm contemplating going carnivore in January.

I have a hard time meeting my protein goal and I want to try Arnold's exercise routine which is not going to be effective without plenty of protein. I'm sure I can do google research and learn some stuff, but I know there are people on here who do carnivore, and I'm interested in how that works for you if you are willing to share.

Things like...

Do you track food or not?

Do you eat dairy or not?

Are there specific oils you use for cooking?

Tips/Tricks/things to watch out for???

I'm already keto and have been for over a year...so less worried about initial transition items unless they are not the usual transition to LC/keto issues.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,952 Member
    Options
    Sent you an invite to the Carnivore Club so you could ask in there and maybe get a quicker response. Or just read through the threads which will answer those very questions. :smile:
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm mostly carnivore. On most days I avoid any plants except stevia, coffe and a bit of flaxmeal in my protein powder. I will occasionally have some plant in my foods - maybe once a week - such as some onion in meatloaf or some tomato sauce.

I'm mostly carnivore for health and arthritis reasons. My knees and hips are waaaay more manageable if I keep carbs to zero. Weight control is really easy when I'm carnivore. I don't seem to overeat with animal products, and even when I do eat a lot, I still lose or maintain. It's a nice bonus.

No, but I am slowly losing at about 0.5-1 lb a week.

Do you eat dairy or not?
    Yes. I eat whipped cream, sour cream, butter and cheese

I use lard, tallow and butter. I like coconut oil but it makes my rosacea act up a bit.

Planning ahead helps me. I tend to bring food with me when I go out, but that's mainly because I am a celiac and food safety is an issue.

I did need to increase sodium a bit when I dropped carbs to almost zero.

It took a couple of months to get used to skipping veggies. I'm used to it now. I think it helped me stick with it that at around 2 months in, my symptoms really started to improve.

My protein intake isn't very high though. I tend to eat beef and pork a lot and their pretty fatty. I'd be surprised if my protein intake is exceeds 100g on most days, so my macro percentage is probably only 20%. If I ate more lean fish and poultry, it would probably work out a bit higher.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Not sure why my taste has changed but after 4 years of Keto I eat more plant based than ever. I left bacon and sausage a couple years ago and yesterday the beef did not taste as I expected. Turkey was awesome this week. Tuna and eggs still hii the spot.

This taste change boggles my mind because I was born chewing on a steak. :)
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Not sure why my taste has changed but after 4 years of Keto I eat more plant based than ever. I left bacon and sausage a couple years ago and yesterday the beef did not taste as I expected. Turkey was awesome this week. Tuna and eggs still hii the spot.

This taste change boggles my mind because I was born chewing on a steak. :)

LOL I'm the other way around. My mother used to worry about me getting enough protein because I would skip meat for most meals. I still don't love meat like I do snap peas and dip.... or cookies, but it has grown on me.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'm almost exclusively on a Protein focused Keto since the beginning because of my workout routine. The fat based one was not working for me. Once I switched the focus to protein my weight loss took off and muscle building started.

Yes. I try to hit 225 grams of protein each day which is pretty high. Lots of weighing my foods to make sure I get there. When I don't hit the needed protein numbers my lean mass suffers big time according to body scans.

Do you eat dairy or not?

A dribble of half and half for my coffee daily. Cheese and butter for flavoring sometimes in various meals.

Olive oil is the only thing I generally use.

Find a way to get fiber into your diet. Cannot stress this enough! Outside of protein focused foods I really only eat leafy greens, cauliflower and various dressings like ranch.
  • nvmomketo
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Yep. I'm one who does much much better without fibre. I've only had trace amounts of fibre since May.

If someone is getting fibre, they are not technically a carnivore. That would be an omnivore. Technically, I'm still an omnivore. I am leaning towards carnivore but do not eat 100% animal products all the time... I don't know if I would ever give up coffee. ;)
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am not strictly carnivore but my plant intake is down drastically. I am better able to maintain my weight eating mainly meats, fish, cheese, nuts, nut butters and a smidge of half & half in my morning coffee. I have a very small piece of dark chocolate now and again as a treat. Do not miss the fiber whatsoever. :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I eat carnivore, don't eat fiber, and do just fine. Right now, it is my off season (last race was a week ago), so I'm working on quick body fat loss. That means I'm eating foods that are very low fat... for you, these foods have a high protein:calorie ratio. It sounds like that is what you are looking for, right?

The foods I'm eating mostly right now are: boneless/skinless chicken and turkey breasts, tuna and other low fat fish (pollack is another good choice), egg whites, and will add some zero carb protein powder if needed. I was hoping to get some pheasant to eat, but was not successful finding any when I went looking recently. I did see a rabbit, which I regret not shooting when I had the chance. :'(
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have tracked at times but that was a little in the beginning and because I was coming from Keto and was already tracking then. So I haven’t tracked in a couple years now.
    I do eat a little cheese and have a tiny bit of hwc or half n half sometimes because I don’t have any known issues with it as of now.
    I definitely don’t eat fiber. When I would cheat and eat some greens or some kind of veggie in the beginning it would upset my gut terribly. That’s actually why I stay carnivore. I do not want fiber in my diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Most of my fiber comes from almonds and coconut flakes. Thanksgiving I ate a boat load of greens and soon had an urgent BRB. Maybe I am starting to have a fiber issue?
  • cricketpower
    cricketpower Posts: 1,348 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Most of my fiber comes from almonds and coconut flakes. Thanksgiving I ate a boat load of greens and soon had an urgent BRB. Maybe I am starting to have a fiber issue?

I'm sorry to hear this, but I am definitely going to borrow your term "urgent BRB". :D I love it!

Each person is unique. I can tell you from my months of carnivore experience that my gut was MUCH calmer ... none of this gurgling around (which can be heard across the room) and no gas, pretty much ever.

The only problem I came across with digestion is that when something DID upset my stomach (which sadly still happened, as I have had IBS probably my entire life) -- the lack of fiber for me meant there was nothing in there to slow things down, so my "urgent BRB" was pretty darn super urgent.

• tcunbeliever
    Options
    So far the only problem I see with me going carnivore is coffee...I know it's a plant...it is in fact a magic bean...and there's no way I'm giving it up!!!

However, in terms of the other stuff, I think I can do this. I will definitely go strict carnivore for a month and then see how I feel and if it is helping me to meet my protein goals and if it is sustainable for me.

Thank you all so much for your input and thank you for the invite to the carnivore group!
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I still drink coffee. And, it is something that I admit isn't ideal. I would have never started if I had to give up coffee at the same time. I did, eventually, drop the coffee for like 6 months to see if it had a major impact. It wasn't enough for me to keep it out. I added it back in.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee as well.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I, too, drink coffee and tea.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Magic bean... LOL

I think most carnivores make allowances for coffee and tea. I'd guess the majority allow for occasional alcohol too.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Magic bean... LOL

I think most carnivores make allowances for coffee and tea. I'd guess the majority allow for occasional alcohol too.

I don't do alcohol any more. I would suggest it is counter-productive for anyone on the keto spectrum because of how it is processed in your liver.

I allow coffee and tea because a big part of the point of being carnivore is to avoid carbs... even small amounts in very low carb vegetables. Coffee and tea fit acceptably within that goal and I feel like I benefit from other stuff in coffee and tea (caffeine and ECGC).
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I hadn't really thought about alcohol since I'm trying to trim up a little at the moment so I'm not indulging except for holidays.

Normally I don't have any issues staying keto with the occasionally whiskey/diet or glass of wine...I'm not a heavy drinker, but I do enjoy the occasional drink while cooking or with/after dinner when I'm not calorie cutting...and sometimes when I am calorie cutting, but it's so much harder to make it fit at that point.

I guess this is something I need to think about before January...I'm not planning to limit calories while doing carnivore, but I don't want to consume a bunch of empty garbage calories.

The point is to get muscular, not just chubby!