Fasting and Coffee/Tea

Options
gwendyprism
gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
https://youtu.be/iAv-1UHHjeg

Just saw this 2 Fit Docs video. Yay! According to their experiment putting heavy cream, MCT oil or butter in your coffee doesn't raise blood glucose or effect ketosis. So you can use these things in coffee (or I assume tea lime I do) without breaking a fast.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure all there is to fasting is maintaining blood sugar or Ketosis.
    A non diabetic person really shouldn’t get a blood sugar rise from cream or MCT oil but that doesn’t mean insulin and other processes of digestion aren’t occurring.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    This is encouraging to hear. I really feel like some MCT oil in my coffee will make my morning go better.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    MCT oil may raise ketones in some people. Fats generally don't affect BG, although BG may rise a bit if you overeat... Not really a fasting problem though. ;)

Fasting is usually considered to be zero up to 500 kcal a day, depending on the source. Fats can add up quickly so would be careful not to add too much to your drinks. Some BPC recipes have about 500 kcal in one drink!

I would consider coffee with a splash of cream, or oil, or a bit of butter to be fine, especially if calories are very low (such as under 100g) but it's more of a modified fast, IMO.

I think it all depends on your goal. :)
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your goal of fasting. I watched that video too, and was encouraged. I believe 2 fit docs are mostly interested in weight loss. If you're more interested in the benefits of autophagy, I think we need more research. Some (can't remember who, sorry) have said you don't get autophagy until 36 hours of fasting but Dr. Bredesen suggests 12 hours for men and 14 hours for women will give you the benefits of autophagy. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I definitely have noticed that I seem to recover from DOMS better when I fast and I usually only fast for 16 hours at a time.
  • gwendyprism
    gwendyprism Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I am doing IF mostly for weight loss (at least at this point.) I'm trying to aim for 12-16 hours by not eating breakfast. I do enjoy my cup of tea in the morning tho with 1 T heavy cream, so this video was encouraging. I can see if I had multiple teas, that this could be self-defeating.
  • Larkspur94
    Larkspur94 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Sure it doesn't raise BG or effect ketosis, but as fasting goes, I believe it does break fast.(Saw another video on it). I remember seeing somewhere that each calorie stalls fast by 1 minute. Haven't fact checked that. Better to just avoid.

I have black tea or green tea during fast.
    I have some milk in the tea during meal window. (With milk it's 1 carb a cup, approx 20 cals)