Living the Life Style - Friday, November .30

savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for November below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Thursday - EliteCoachKal (Kal)
Friday - savignr (Bob)

Today's Topic: Alone again, naturally?

You can thank Gilbert O'Sullivan for that ear worm.

Do you have an advocate, "conscience", or accountability partner in your weight loss journey? Why or why not? If so, who?

Alternate question: Favorite one hit wonder.

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    As far as staying on plan, eating right, etc. I am on my own. I do the shopping and cooking, so this helps me create my own destiny as far as food choices, meals, etc. If anything, DW and kids are sometimes a hinderance; I make things to keep them happy that are really not good for me. But that is thankfully rare.

Zagar & Evans - In the Year 2525
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,696 Member
    edited November 2018
    I used to have a nurse from Aetna call once a month to review progress, struggles and set some goals for the coming month. That ended this month since I am on Medicare starting tomorrow and I lose my Aetna Retiree Medical. I also have a Neurosurgeon who tracks my weight loss to help make sure he doesn't have to cut on me. I only see him every 4 months but it helps since he was able to fit into a very tangible goal of reducing crippling nerve pain episodes from my lower back problems. DW can be if I need her to be but if she is not focusing on her eating habits it isn't as good. In the end, I like to rely primarily on me.

The Monotones - "Who Wrote The Book of Love"
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,197 Member
    I'm accumulating accountability partners as I go along. Currently just started with an MD that specializes in Weight Loss. This began on Wednesday 11/21/18 (2 days before Thanksgiving)and will check in on 12/23 just 2 days before Christmas.

Also have a phycotherapist once every 2 weeks. That's going good and gives me someone to discuss or talk about things. Started out for weight problem then became accountability partner for a brief time when my hospital nutritionist resigned from the hospital.

Then there's DW and she does the cooking, planning the meals and 90% of the shopping. Then I'm accountable to myself to the GoaD board. So to say I have accountability partners is an understatement.

In the end It's really up to me to be accountable to myself. Work the plan, track and do what's right by doing all the tight things as much as possible.

"Stars fell on Alabama" Or Maybe "Georgia on my Mind" Ray Charles

SW 400.8
    CW 340.8 🙂 -2.4 lbs
    1st 340.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

60.0 lbs Total Loss
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,525 Member
    My only external accountability was my WW meeting. The meeting in general. When I was really up against the Lifetime red line GW+ 2lbs, I almost ducked out.

It was the last day of the month. I hadn’t done monthly WI yet. My scale at home had me right on the line. Should I just skip it, the show up later after I lose a couple of lbs.

Wait! I’ve heard that story 100 times from people that have gained back 40-50lbs or all the lost weight. Or that plus extra. Besides, if I just disappear, the folks at the meeting will figure it out.

I went to face the music. 186lbs right on the nose. The red line. I restarted tracking and got a grip.

But really it was accountability because I decided it was.

Blues Magoos- We Ain’t Got Nothing Yet.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,154 Member
    Really on my own for the most part. I do shop and at least 70% of the cooking. I do have comraderie with the group at WW meeting. We do have several couples in our meeting these days and that is all good.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,587 Member
    TOL is my alter-conscious.

Starland Vocal Band- Afternoon Delight
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    DW joined with me in 2013. She lost 30# and has been Lifetime. We both Weighs in once a week,
    She doesn’t nag just hears me as. Sounding Board.
    My other conscience is WW Group.
    That helps me be aware of everything that impacts LTL.
    Friends Don’t want to hear about my WW or LTL. It’s good to have people share online GOAD or WW Connect.

One Hit Wonder
    I always enjoy The Pina Colada song.
    Also Don’t Worry Be Happy.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    I have a dear friend whom I communicate regularly about weight maintenance, fitness, cranky husbands, and all the other ups and downs of life. We met through the old WW boards. I've traveled to the east coast to stay with her and her husband the last 3 years during the spring. No doubt there will be another great adventure in 2019!

I pulled up a list of the top 100 one hit wonders of the 80s. Not sure what is says about me that many of those songs are on my iPod playlist.....

“It’s Raining Men” – The Weather Girls
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,327 Member
    Its me and my lovely wife together forever! She told me 8 years ago that one of the reasons she was interested in dating me was because I was already attending WW. We have helped each other many times during this journey. Nagging when needed supporting and uplifting when needed. Its been a good journey together.

Bonus question: Build me up buttercup
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Do you have an advocate, "conscience", or accountability partner in your weight loss journey? Why or why not? If so, who?

My accountability partner is primarily the fat guy I used to be. I haven't forgotten him and how tired and lacking motivation he was. Outwardly, he seemed to "carry his weight well", but he lacked energy and enthusiasm. As he monitored his weight by noting the bump up in pants size every 6-12 months, he'd curse himself, but it didn't change his behavior. Nope, don't want to be that guy again, but I appreciate the fact that he's still lurking in the shadows, helping me to make mostly healthy choices more often than not.

Bonus question: "City of New Orleans"-Arlo Guthrie (though was he really a one hit wonder??)