This December I Will....

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited December 2018 in Social Groups
zjy16iyd1xsw.jpg

How can it be that we are now in the last month of 2018???

For many of us, the wonderful busy-ness of December too often means we let our healthy habits and practices slide and fall by the wayside. Let’s not let that happen! Sure, maybe some things will have to give, but our healthy habits should anchor our lives, helping us stay on course and giving us a sense of normalcy when we need it most. In the season of gift giving, I think the best gift we can possibly give is to ourselves: a daily pause of 10 or 20 minutes to do something that renews and refreshes our mind, body, and spirit. I'm going to keep reading and walking on my treadmill, keep practicing my morning meditation with Calm, and I'll keep doing my pre-bedtime yoga, because the crazier things get the more I need to do the things that make me feel like me.

What about you? What habits will you be prioritizing this month? What are your healthy anchors?

And even in December, we can find a few minutes each day to work on a new habit or to keep practicing and refining something we've worked on in previous monthly challenges. What is your goal this month? What do you want to accomplish?

Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as it works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you.

If you are joining us for the first time, welcome! Let us know what your goal is and how we can help. And if you're joining us midway through the month, no need to wait for January. Start today and you'll be that much closer to achieving what you want. If you're looking for ideas, our list of previous challenges may come in handy.

Try to frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This December I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.)
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of December?

We've got you, December! What goal and new habit do you want to create for yourself this month?

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    1. This December I will have more fun!
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: 1. I will schedule at least one outing per week through Dec 21st with friends 2. I will go on a Julia Cameron “Artist Date” once a week through Dec 21 to museums, art group meetings, a gallery, etc. 3. I will make art (digital or real life) or doodle for at least 5 minutes daily throughout December.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: 1. Sticky Note reminder- I have 1st & 2nd week scheduled already. 2. Seeing them on my calendar ie I’ve scheduled them today!!! 3. Three timers: 3 pm 5 pm 8 pm & I use one.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) See 2 above.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.) I will date each thing I do & keep them chronologically in a special box by my bedside❣️For 1 & 2, I’ll Journal about them afterwards or during - even briefly. For no. 3: I’ll say “See! You are an artist!!”
    6. What help do you need from us? Your usual awesome selves!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of December? That I feel I have a more balanced life - not just food, exercise, decluttering, physical therapy, desk work, housework...I’ve been pushing too hard.

more FUN 🎉 more JOY 🌈 more FULFILLMENT 😃

Thank you @themedalist ❣️
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @MollyMadison2017 I’d like to respond to your goal briefly... 💚💞💙💖💜 ❤️ 😍💕💗💓❣️
  • nebslp
    Options
    @themedalist It’s really helpful having a device that helps you see how you’re progressing, and the Fitbit has so many things to zero in on. 300 active minutes is a lot, but watching progress throughout the day will help you succeed. Also, I love your intro and what a gorgeous frosty picture! I am being pulled toward meditation but have been fighting it for many years. I’m glad you find it so beneficial. I will give in to it one of these days😶
  • nebslp
    Options
    I’ve really been struggling to zero in on my December goal. Two things are certain...I need to work out every day to gain/maintain strength and I need to lose weight. So...
    1) This December I will make a habit of working out and moving more (continuation of Oct goal).
    2) The small actions I will take to accomplish this goal: 1) Make a list of things I can use (equipment and videos) and places I can walk outside. 2) make a chart to monitor what I did 3) decide early in the day what I will do that day. 4)write a short note on the chart about how I felt when I finished.
    3) the trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: put the chart in a place where I will see it. Write down what I decided to do that day on my day planner.
    4) How often will you do your habit? Every day from Dec1-Dec 15 or so. After that I will plan a 20-30 minute walk daily since I won’t have access to my equipment or videos.
    5) What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Stop and reflect for 15-30 seconds on how proud and happy I feel for making a plan and following through. Then fill in my chart what I did and how I felt.
    6) What help do you need from us? Let me brag on myself a little🤣. If I can do this, it will be a BIG deal! Seriously, just be here sharing your successes and struggles.
    7) what does success look like to you at the end of December? I will have an incredible feeling of accomplishment knowing that I made a promise to myself, and kept it for 31 days. I will feel stronger and better than I do now.

Tonight it was 9:05 and I had finally decided on my goal. I tried to talk myself into starting tomorrow but chose to start tonight and do 23 minutes of Classical Stretch even though it was late and I’m tired. No more excuses! Good luck to everyone starting and carrying on with your goals.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @littlebear0121
    Sounds great! We can support each other, as we shift this habit! I had thought of contacting a friend each day as well - even sending one piece of “Good Mail” to a friend each day... but really want to make more art 🖼 to see if that is my next step - or not. I think I’ll do connecting or nailing Good Mail in January during post holiday period.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @nebslp
    Thanks!

I fight meditation too, but just found the app Simple Habit (free first week) & LOVE it! Paid for the year LOL I use it often & use things I’ve learned throughout the day even when not in the app. “Let It Go” is great. So is “Struggling with Eating” (ignore the title - the content is exceptional), “Body Positivity”, also has many for drifting off to sleep!

I love your December, I will... AND that you began right away!!! I think learning to “begin right away” is a key to maintenance. “The faster we get up, the more likely we are to win the race!”

♥️
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MollyMadison2017 I’d like to respond to your goal briefly... 💚💞💙💖💜 ❤️ 😍💕💗💓❣️

Well said, @nebslp! This is a fantastic goal you've set for yourself. @MadisonMolly2017! Have some fun this month!
  • themedalist
    edited December 2018
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @themedalist It’s really helpful having a device that helps you see how you’re progressing, and the Fitbit has so many things to zero in on. 300 active minutes is a lot, but watching progress throughout the day will help you succeed. Also, I love your intro and what a gorgeous frosty picture! I am being pulled toward meditation but have been fighting it for many years. I’m glad you find it so beneficial. I will give in to it one of these days😶

Meditation has changed my life in so many ways. I particularly like Calm as each session has a daily theme or topic, in addition to the focus on breathing.

And your December goal is terrific! You can do this!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Hi! My name is Amy, and I have not been very active in this group, but hope to change that. I joined MFP last February, and have lost 23 pounds and have been consistent in exercising six or seven days a week (I have been told that I need to because of an autoimmune disease I have.) The exercise helps tremendously. Anyway, my goal is not going to be weight or exercise related, but a social goal. We moved about 1.5 years ago to a rural area, leaving behind all of my friends of 15 years. I have a large, close extended family and am also now farther away from them. I have been feeling down and isolated lately and realize that I am not making much of an effort to make the friendships that I desire. I am a friendly person and have never had a hard time making friends, but it's a little harder right now because I am pretty busy and it's a new and rural area (nothing against rural, just that we are more spread out.)

1. This December I will be friendly.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Schedule one social event per week, at least. Either meet somewhere or have people over. I'm also going to make contact with one friend per day to keep in touch. I am not going to assume that just because someone is different from me in one area, that she will not want to be friends with me. Finally, I'm going to text my mom every day. We get along well, and I treasure our relationship.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: Maybe a reminder on Google calendar? Not sure.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Daily.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I will think, "She who desires friends must show herself friendly." And I will smile :)
    6. What help do you need from us? Just your usual support and encouragement! Offer suggestions?
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of December? Ideally, success would look like some friendships. It might look no different than today, but I will at least be practicing habits that will eventually lead to friendships.

@littlebear0121, I remember you! Welcome back! I think your goal for December is wonderful. More and more health practitioners are recognizing that our network of friends and family is vital to our health and wellness.

I also live in a rural community so I understand where you are coming from. My town has an active Facebook page and just this week I saw a posting that someone was interested in starting a walking group. And quite a few people responded! Whatever your interests and hobbies are, I bet there are women in your community who share your interests and that's often a great basis for a new friendship.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am determined to make reading a habit so I am going to refocus on a daily habit of reading. This time I think I will schedule my reading time for first thing in the morning. My hope is that perhaps reading while sipping my morning coffee this will become a habit.

1. My goal for this month (This December I will...") Daily book reading.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal. I plan to have my book and coffee cup sitting on the table when I wake up.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. Preparing my morning coffee.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.) Circling the date on the kitchen calendar.
    6. What help do you need from us? Accountability. I need to show up daily and let you know if I read or not.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of December? The joy of reading... a new book. I use to be an avid reader before having a laptop computer and smart phone.

Speaking of mediation and the Calm app....my grandson spends the night once a week and he falls asleep listening the story Moshi Twilight. I am currently using the free edition to the Calm app....however, I did request a year membership for Christmas. It would be wonderful if I had access to all that Calm offers. Fingers crossed.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I am determined to make reading a habit so I am going to refocus on a daily habit of reading. This time I think I will schedule my reading time for first thing in the morning. My hope is that perhaps reading while sipping my morning coffee this will become a habit.

1. My goal for this month (This December I will...") Daily book reading.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal. I plan to have my book and coffee cup sitting on the table when I wake up.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. Preparing my morning coffee.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.) Circling the date on the kitchen calendar.
    6. What help do you need from us? Accountability. I need to show up daily and let you know if I read or not.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of December? The joy of reading... a new book. I use to be an avid reader before having a laptop computer and smart phone.

Speaking of mediation and the Calm app....my grandson spends the night once a week and he falls asleep listening the story Moshi Twilight. I am currently using the free edition to the Calm app....however, I did request a year membership for Christmas. It would be wonderful if I had access to all that Calm offers. Fingers crossed.

Coffee & reading each morning sounds so nice❣️
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    I read a chapter this morning while sipping my coffee. It was enjoyable and relaxing.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    1. This December I will continue to drink water first thing every morning.
    2. Small actions: Refill morning water bottle for tomorrow when I finished it today after exercise. and this time around I will make a notation on my exercise calendar how drinking water early in the morning went this day.
    3. The trigger or cue: Have a water bottle or my cup near where I put my night guard in the morning
    4. How often? Every morning
    5. Immediate reward? As I'm sipping on the water I'll get ready to exercise, linking both activities together. Having a focused start to my day will make me feel good, and help me not become distracted with something or another... and an hour later realize that I haven't started to exercise yet. Yikes :p lol
    On rest days or busy mornings I will have to make sure to drink the water by switching to my favorite insulated cup that I put water in the night before, or put a water bottle with my keys the night before if I'm going somewhere early. I already do some of this but will need to make it more routine.
    6. What help do you need from us? Continuing to be involved in this group will definitely be encouraging, and fun.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of December? I'm hoping it continues to make my mornings flow easier having something to remind me it is time to actually start my day however it is planned, not just exercise days. Seeing more check marks than missed days at the end of the month will be encouraging just as seeing my exercise calendar get filled in does for me.
    Perhaps I will also feel better as I continue to work towards drinking water earlier in my day as a true habit. And hopefully doing so will also encourage me to drink more water during the day.

Thank you again for another This Month I will....

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    I could not sleep last night. I got up 2 am and read my book for an hour.
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    I read for a hour this morning.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    A few modifications to my December I Will...

1. I will schedule at least one outing per week through Dec 21st with friends

(Deleted #2 since still cannot drive. Will do when cleared for driving!)

3. I will make art (digital or real life) or doodle for at least 5 minutes daily throughout December.

Changed: I will date each thing I do & keep the ones made chronologically in a special box in my art Studio❣

For # 1, I’ll Journal about them afterwards or during - even briefly. And I’ll take a few photos!!

Changed: For no. 3: I’ll say “See! Isn’t this fun & engaging!””

more FUN 🎉 more JOY 🌈 more FULFILLMENT 😃

Both 1 & 3 are going well. Re-aquatinted myself with my drawing app & sketched over an hour snuggled in bed with my cat! Just what I needed 🐈❣️