Living the Lifestyle - Thursday December 6

savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for December below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday - Podkey (Bob)
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for December below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday - Podkey (Bob)

Today's Topic: Tips for Success

There is a blog out there today offering "Five Trainer Tips on Managing Holiday Temptations".
The five are:

1) Moderation is key.
2) Know your weaknesses.
3) Resolve to do better.
4) Make a plan.
5) Discipline is key.

Which one or two from the list would you select to help you be successful during the holidays? Why?

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    I didn't really pick one of these, but rather eliminated the others. Making a plan is fine, but, as Mike Tyson put it, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face". Number 3 kind of stuck out for me, but I thought it more an afterthought; in other words, I failed, but I'll do better next time. Discipline rings with me much like the plan; I can already feel the guilt creeping in if I am not disciplined (and it is certainly not my nature). Knowing my weaknesses is entirely different from controlling them, so I do not see that one being a lot of help.

So, for me, I would go with moderation. I can choose and do, within reason, what I want, and still maintain the overall tenets of the lifestyle.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,197 Member
    #1) Moderation is the key.
    I picked this because this would be one of the keys to having a successful holiday season. With many of the festive things and parties that go on I can let it get out of hand. Since I'm following a new diet I don't think it's going to be a problem for me this year.

#5 ) Discipline is the key.
    This is another key that is equally important for me through the holiday season. It goes along with moderation but without discipline to follow my diet all i is lost in the journey. The other 3 certainly have value for me but they generally deal with planning in the future which is great! but currently I'm living in the moment meal by meal. Of course I have to plan ahead so as to have the proper foods on hand to stay on track.

SW 400.8
    CW 339.0 🙁+1.4 lbs
    1st 340.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

61.8 lbs Total Loss
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,829 Member
    #5 ) Discipline is the key. It's that time for cookies and that is a weakness I have. If I can do moderation I will be fine and I will journal each and everyone so not to set myself back.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    1) Moderation is key.
    2) Know your weaknesses.

My weakness is sweets. But if I enjoy them in moderation, rather than trying to be restrictive, I can get through the holiday season maintaining my weight.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    Since my surgery 11/7 I have been housebound, Limiting my usual daiy activity. Now friends want me to take me out TO EAT! Great to get out but I will pick 4 Plan and 1 Moderation.
    I am looking to get out and see friends but need to Plan and Limit my intake.

#3 I need to do better with my PT exercise. I enjoy doing classes at aqua aerobics and swimming but without that allowed I NEED to do what I can.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,587 Member
    edited December 2018
    #2& #1, 'cause.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,525 Member
    Know your weaknesses

Make a plan

Always have a plan. Every good plan I ever made had a -What could go wrong? step.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,154 Member
    Making a plan for sure.

Staring down the devil? when does that work?
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,154 Member
    I suspect you can find recent articles in the voxdotcom site gooogling with "self-control is overrated".

I do remember the old Stanford marshmallow experiment where they rewarded kids for waiting to eat a marshmallow . The kids did not "stare the devil down" so much as much as they stared off in space or made the marshmallow into a play thing in their minds etc.
    These kids were more successful in life in general. Love the updates on the topic.

Tell me your strategies and what you think about managing life beyond the ole "just say no".
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    1) Moderation is key.
    2) Know your weaknesses.
    3) Resolve to do better.
    4) Make a plan.
    5) Discipline is key.

Which one or two from the list would you select to help you be successful during the holidays? Why?

I'd go with # 1 and 4, as the others can be absorbed within them. I seem to be more successful using these two techniques than absolutely restricting myself or even suggesting the context of me doing "good or bad" based on my food choices.

I got into WW because I didn't prioritize moderation. For a host of reasons, I ignored several warning signs and just continued to eat and drink my way through stresses, celebrations, and everyday life. I managed to ignore the resulting ballooning of my waistline and impact on my body and health for a long time. The additional weight took its toll though until I decided it was time to change my ways.

While I don't make big holiday plans, I do visit with friends and family throughout the holidays. It's not realistic for be to make any foods 'off-limits', but it is to generally plan my days so that I end up in early January without any regrets. I can achieve that through a combination of mindfulness, limited food intake and activity. One of my preferences for LTL is to make allowance for a little spontaneity so that is built into my plan as well.