Living the Life Style - Thursday December 13

savignr
savignr Posts: 711 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for December below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday - Podkey (Bob)

Today's topic - Yesterday 88Olds took us on a trip of things we recently learned. Let's take the other fork (no pun intended) in the road today and talk about some of the things we haven't yet learned, or know, but have difficulty doing correctly.

Alternate question - Any special family holiday traditions?

Replies

• savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Unfortunately, there are still several things I have yet to learn and do consistently.

1) My off button malfunctions with astonishing regularity.
    2) Calories in a snack do not necessarily have to equal calories in a meal.
    3) Tablespoon of peanut butter means level, not heaping.
    4) Giving the dog a bite of what I'm eating does not cut the calories by 25%.
    5) Making recipes with the NI not available without first putting them through the recipe builder is a "recipe" for disaster. Are you listening, America's Test Kitchen?

Alternate question: DW was born and raised in Argentina, but her parents were born in Italy, and moved to Argentina in their late teens. So there is a strong Italian influence on her side. I'm not sure if it is an Italian or Argentinian tradition, but Xmas Eve normally features a multi-course dinner and a few bottles of wine, with presents to be opened on the stroke of midnight. The challenge for me is staying awake until midnight after the food and drink.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,525 Member
    I don’t know how to take care of myself. Specifically my body. I’ve got some issues that have me going in a whole new direction.

I just edited out the long detailed whine about my aches and pains. Let’s just say my lower body is very tight and inflamed. About my only current activity is easy yoga. It’s frustrating.

I started researching anti-inflammatory diets and have made some changes that have shown up in a couple of posts. This is a significant departure from basic CICO that has served me so well.

I’m frustrated and disheartened. Its gotten into my head. Medical care here in Key West is limited. I feel adrift.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    ...talk about some of the things we haven't yet learned, or know, but have difficulty doing correctly.

Making that low SP dough. The photos of WW pizza always looks delicious!

Cooking, baking and trying new recipes.

Tired of same old stuff but too lazy or too many real life issues (surgery) to begin new plans. Maybe a New Year resolution will give me a needed KITA!

Had a lot of traditions but without the kids or family near we are very low key.

DW and I used to go to movie Christmas Day but the movies are few that appeal to us.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Not feeding my stress and exhaustion with food. This brutal semester is almost over which is good since the scale is trending up from my stress & exhaustion fueled eating.

Alternate question: DH & I lost our dads in 2005 which left us without any close family (we are both only children since both sets of parents married late in life). We started have our friends over on Thanksgiving for dinner and then going to an Indian restaurant on Christmas day followed by dessert at their house.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    "...talk about some of the things we haven't yet learned, or know, but have difficulty doing correctly."

Right now, my most-pressing thing is some form of exercise or activity outside the normal day-to-day. I had a good routine worked out with walking a few miles (nearly) daily up until September when I had to be on-point for contractors at the time when I used to walk. Before that, for the past year and a half, I walked the dog for a couple / three miles most every day.

One unexpected consequence of moving to the 'burbs is that there's lots of dogs in the 'hood. This has really slowed down my dog (combo Italian greyhound and beagle) because she wants to smell everything. I sometimes literally have to pull her along. My preference is to walk before the rest of the world is too active--early morning. I just haven't gotten back into that routine yet.

This situation is nagging at me. Eventually, I will make it a priority but I haven't yet. In the meantime, limiting my intake is helping me maintain my weight--fortunately.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,154 Member
    Been busy visiting son-in-law in hospital for bad elbow infection. He is on IV antibiotics and finally had surgery last night after several days.

I often feel that I haven't learned to follow my own advice and just "suckitup buttercup". Need to do better.