Living-The -Lifestyle Fri Dec 14 Sugar Daddy

Options
podkey
podkey Posts: 5,081 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate, and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for December below:

Monday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - savignr (Bob)
Friday - Podkey (Bob)

Topic: The Ess word sugar and how you handle it to keep your blood sugar (glucose) in check during the Dark Days of December. do you walk or move more or eat less carbs? How does it affect your LTL plan??

Replies

• podkey
    Options
    I am off for an early a walk with a guy recovering from kidney stone removal procedure. BBL to ply you all with sugarplums and candy canes.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my sweet intake in balance with my activity. Last weekend's 200K helped a lot. We are having mild weather this weekend so I will do a 100K ride on Sunday as I have 3 holiday events next week.
  • podkey
    Options
    Good point gadgetgirlIL. I use to limit my consumption of apple fritters (which I do like) to days I ride 65 miles and up on the bike. No question that we can consume a lot more carbs when we are burning them off. Also when we are active every day at the 10,000 step level (more or less) for at least 3 days in a row our blood glucose levels avoid spiking when we eat some carbs.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    Good Question Bob .I don't watch my sugar intake even though I am Pre- diabetic. Doctor wants me to eat no more than 45- 50 carbs. per meal. I have a tough time with that.
  • savignr
    savignr Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I really don’t pay much attention. I very rarely add sugar to anything I am drinking or cooking. I am no a big dessert or sweets fanatic, fortunately. My only real weakness there is dark chocolate; good dark chocolate. And, with that, as long as I am reasonably mindful, it only takes a small amount to satisfy me.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    So I’ve taken to baking cookies. Well, sort of cookies. Smooshed up overripe bananas and quick oats. Added a bit of vanilla extract and sprinkled a pinch of sugar on top. 1tsp for about 18 cookies. Palatable.

But this last batch I swapped 2 tsp vanilla extract for 1 tbsp of maple syrup. 78 cals down to 52. Had a couple of drops to put on top. Plus I added egg protein. What I’m on the verge of is dumping my occasional fig newton cookie and the daily Nature’s Valley protein bar. Just need to tinker.

There are some interesting sugar alternatives. And when all else fails, a tsp of the real thing goes a long way.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    So far this holiday season I've totally cut out sweets of any type. No pie, No cake, No cookies. Also almost no carbs but intake only with a small amount of fried foods. Ask just going to keylo this up till I see my MD this coming Friday the 21st. I've compensated with more volume of fats and proteins.

SW 400.8
    CW 340.2 🙁 +2.2 lbs
    1st 335.0 Goal
    2nd 300.0 Goal
    Final GW 185.0

60. lbs Total Loss
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Topic: The Ess word sugar and how you handle it to keep your blood sugar (glucose) in check during the Dark Days of December. do you walk or move more or eat less carbs? How does it affect your LTL plan??

I honestly don't do anything differently in December than I do the rest of the year. While there are more treats in my orbit this month, my uptake of them is minimal. I've had one small cookie a day most days for the last week or so. Because I don't attend a lot of gatherings or have a lot of events where sweets are present, this isn't an issue for me.