What's on your mind today?

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Here's where you can share what's on your mind. Recipes, ideas, workouts, anything that you think might be helpful to others.

Maybe, you've tried something that has worked for you in the past and would like to share it with the group. Maybe, you have a NSV (Non Scale Victory) that you would like to share with the group. Anything that you feel comfortable sharing or anything that you feel comfortable asking the group with help....this is the place to come.

The GOOD!! What NSV did you have this week!!
The BAD!! So what....you ate the whole thing!!
The UGLY!! That darn scale went through the window this week....it deserved it too!!

So, what's on your mind today??

Replies

• Sue2bthin
    Sue2bthin Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to “forward” this challenge to my son-in-law who is also on MFP?
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Sue2bthin wrote: »
    Is there a way to “forward” this challenge to my son-in-law who is also on MFP?

You can share the link with him in a message.
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @Dory_42 A great idea. Taking the time to reflect and recognize the many things that I have been blessed is one of the things I have identified to do this year. Adding a brief gratitude to my daily report is an easy way to do that, so I will join you.
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    ut oh...is there a way to edit your original post? I was thinking I could post and adjust my entry as the day progressed.
  • kedlyo
    kedlyo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi, I need to get back into a daily habit so I will look like my very outdated profile pic again! I'm not new to MFP, but new to challenges & the whole 'community' side of MFP. Does anyone know if there is a way to set up a notification (in the mobile app) reminding me to post on the sign-in here? I think after a week or two the habit will be solidified, but my worry is for days that don't follow my normal routine (i.e. up til midnight ringing in the new year). Thanks for any help!
  • BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,408 Member
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »
    ut oh...is there a way to edit your original post? I was thinking I could post and adjust my entry as the day progressed.

You have up to an hour to edit something (until the "quote" option appears) when it will move out of the buffer. If you hover towards the upper right corner of your entry and a black gear-wheel appears, you can still edit that entry.

Having said that, you can also quote yourself and update later in the day if you wish. Or (for example) in the morning, go to "the day before" and post a full report. Depends on how / when you customarily sign on to MFP. Some people "seem" to post awfully early, but that usually just means they live in Australia and so are as much as 16 hrs ahead of Eastern North America-types. Even farther ahead if you are mid- to western North America time zone.

There is no "wrong way / wrong time" so long as you post.
  • KCJen
    Options
    @BMcC9 thank you for explaining that to me! I should change my name to newbie Jen : ) Also thank you for your post in the messages boards because your post brought me here! I think I might post a day behind then, or learn how to quote.
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    thank you for explaining that to me! I should change my name to newbie Jen

@KCJen, you and me both!! We'll get it! :)
  • BMcC9
    Options
    @bisonpitcher , how does one measure body fat? I am closing in on my maintenance zone, and will soon have to give extra attention to to strengthening / muscle toning rather than just cardio burn (mostly jogging on my mini-trampoline these days, but have a long history of all kinds of dance, so very good inner body-location-in-space sense, and am very aware of the importance of form / "feeling" the work in the right place.)
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways to measure it (with varying degrees of accuracy). I just use the navy body fat calculator using body measurements (it's not the most accurate, but it shows me change over time).
  • djinn924
    djinn924 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    @bisonpitcher were you in the service?
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    djinn924 wrote: »
    @bisonpitcher were you in the service?

Nope. My dad was in the Air Force, but I never served. I am a HS teacher and coach.
  • BMcC9
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I found and bookmarked a site for "put in your data - we work the math" for Navy cacl. Body Fat % number.

(big gulp - bigger s i g h ..... )

36.8%

I am only barely (still on the wrong side of the borderline) BMI Overweight for my height - 2 pounds shy of slipping into the very upper edge of Normal BMI. So it's not like I have concerns of already being "skinny-fat" at this point.

But it looks like I need to rethink where my final maintenance zone might be (lower than originally planned), and ALSO how to change up my exercise plan from only always jogging fairly-steady pace on my mini-trampoline to include some additional fat-burning or resistance training elements.

I won't be joining a gym any time soon, out-of-the-house classes won't be fitting my schedule right now, (Youtube "at-home classes" would work) and fitness apps are out (don't own a personal cell or tablet, and not about to put any apps on the work cell)

But I have a stationary bike with HIIT as one of the built-in programs. I also have up-to 15 lb (per hand) dumbells plus a pair of additional 5 lb strap on cuffs that could go on either wrists or ankles. And there are always body-weight gravity-resistance moves too (push-ups, planks etc)

Any suggestions from anybody about where to start? I admit ..... freely .... that I have always had a tougher time sticking with almost anything that isn't either my jogging exergame (of all the many possible cardio variations) or dancing / rhythmic-movement-to-music.
  • KCJen
    Options
    @BMcC9 I track my BMI number, which is scary right at the moment. I am working to get my BMI back into the healthy range and reach my healthy ideal target weight. I think a Body Fat % number would scare me right now.

I do have a question though, related to the 3 daily passes we get. I have currently used 2, so realistically it is looking like I will be disqualified by the time we get to the end of January (could even be by tomorrow). Can I still post daily to help me develop the habit of tracking calories and everything else? Or once I hit 3 daily passes I will need to stop posting until the next month?
  • jan110144
    jan110144 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    @KCJen Stay, keep tracking, and keep posting. The group is very supportive.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @KCJen Of course, please stay. Continue to exercise, track and keep posting. Many of us exceed our 3 pass days and don't make it to Winner's Circle. The objective of the group is to develop good habits, encourage team mates, and recognize we all have shortcomings that don't preclude improvement over time. Continued posting throughout the month (accountability) empowers each and every one of us to reach new goals, even if it is not the coveted "Winner's Circle" for the given month.
  • djinn924
    djinn924 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well day 2 of low carb and the keto flu is kicking in strong, yay me. It’s bittersweet because although I have a headache and many other symptoms I know my body is changing from glycolysis (converting glucose to energy) to beta-oxidation (converting fat to energy). Hopefully it will be a short transition but even if it is not I will persevere. Good luck to you all and I hope you are staying strong!!!