What's on your mind today?

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,438 Member
    Options
    If somebody here sent me a Friend Request, please let me know. I have a profile glitch that prevents me from opening that tab (working with tech support on that)

So I am not ignoring it ... I just can't identify who sent it.

I CAN send out Friend Requests, but don't often just because I am not good or consistent at looking down my wall and sending regular little "tweet-text" type things. Which would make me 'appear non-supportive' when I can be VERY supportive in a thread-setting. And I can just imagine that the more Friends I accepted, the bigger the 'non-supportive impression' would be.

Probably a generational / no personal cell thing, so that kind of short-text interaction just isn't routine for me.
  • Jays_Lines
    Jays_Lines Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm looking to add friends who are doing this challenge to keep each other motivated and keep each other accountable! Feel free to add me!
  • Jays_Lines
    Jays_Lines Posts: 33 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I found and bookmarked a site for "put in your data - we work the math" for Navy cacl. Body Fat % number.

(big gulp - bigger s i g h ..... )

36.8%

I am only barely (still on the wrong side of the borderline) BMI Overweight for my height - 2 pounds shy of slipping into the very upper edge of Normal BMI. So it's not like I have concerns of already being "skinny-fat" at this point.

But it looks like I need to rethink where my final maintenance zone might be (lower than originally planned), and ALSO how to change up my exercise plan from only always jogging fairly-steady pace on my mini-trampoline to include some additional fat-burning or resistance training elements.

I won't be joining a gym any time soon, out-of-the-house classes won't be fitting my schedule right now, (Youtube "at-home classes" would work) and fitness apps are out (don't own a personal cell or tablet, and not about to put any apps on the work cell)

But I have a stationary bike with HIIT as one of the built-in programs. I also have up-to 15 lb (per hand) dumbells plus a pair of additional 5 lb strap on cuffs that could go on either wrists or ankles. And there are always body-weight gravity-resistance moves too (push-ups, planks etc)

Any suggestions from anybody about where to start? I admit ..... freely .... that I have always had a tougher time sticking with almost anything that isn't either my jogging exergame (of all the many possible cardio variations) or dancing / rhythmic-movement-to-music.

@BMcC9

I'm going to tell you what worked for me - I went from being extremely sedentary to craving a daily workout. Strength training days are my favorite.

I started with short workouts, just 10 mins a day, and worked up to longer workouts. The key for me was taking the time to hunt down workouts I enjoy doing on youtube. I fell in love with FitnessBlender, but I wonder if you would be able to find Hiit and Strenght Training videos that are still "rythmic/movement to the music" types.

When it comes to strength training, lift heavy. As heavy as you can manage where the last few reps of the last set feel almost impossible to do. You'll see and feel results quickly and can leave these sessions to only 30mins a pop.
  • BMcC9
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look into that (your description of "lift heavy" certainly matches my attempts at push-ups and tricep dips LOL)

Apart from body-weight lifting .... the future will tell how the investment into heavier lifting is gonna go.

What would anyone say to the value of "layering"? (say, once I get to the point where I am finding the currently-available 20 lbs per hand "not so heavy", start including both the hand-weights AND resistance bands together? )
  • KCJen
    KCJen Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    @KCJen Of course, please stay. Continue to exercise, track and keep posting. Many of us exceed our 3 pass days and don't make it to Winner's Circle. The objective of the group is to develop good habits, encourage team mates, and recognize we all have shortcomings that don't preclude improvement over time. Continued posting throughout the month (accountability) empowers each and every one of us to reach new goals, even if it is not the coveted "Winner's Circle" for the given month.

@w8goal4life Thank you so much!
  • KCJen
    Options
    jan110144 wrote: »
    @KCJen Stay, keep tracking, and keep posting. The group is very supportive.

@jan110144 Thank you : )
  • KCJen
    Options
    KCJen wrote: »
    @BMcC9 I track my BMI number, which is scary right at the moment. I am working to get my BMI back into the healthy range and reach my healthy ideal target weight. I think a Body Fat % number would scare me right now.

I do have a question though, related to the 3 daily passes we get. I have currently used 2, so realistically it is looking like I will be disqualified by the time we get to the end of January (could even be by tomorrow). Can I still post daily to help me develop the habit of tracking calories and everything else? Or once I hit 3 daily passes I will need to stop posting until the next month?

The two posts immediately following yours say it all! No-one is EVER "disqualified ... need to stop posting". Our moderator didn't make it all the way in December. Life is whatever it is.

And it is EXTREMELY rare for anyone to make it through the entire month on 3 or less passes their very first month. (not impossible, but very rare)

Just keep going. See how many passes you end up using, and while you are at it, figure out what got in the way - how you will work around future similar scenarios.

In February, aim to get through the month on fewer passes by applying lessons learned this month.

Repeat.

Keep repeating.

And if the idea of your Body Fat % number strikes you as scary right now, DON'T LOOK FOR IT YET.

You are very new to the whole MFP world in general right now. Getting into the habit of logging / reporting is all you need to be concentrating on right now.

@BMcC9 You are so helpful! Thank you so much : )
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I found and bookmarked a site for "put in your data - we work the math" for Navy cacl. Body Fat % number.

(big gulp - bigger s i g h ..... )

36.8%

... I have a stationary bike with HIIT as one of the built-in programs. I also have up-to 15 lb (per hand) dumbells plus a pair of additional 5 lb strap on cuffs that could go on either wrists or ankles. And there are always body-weight gravity-resistance moves too (push-ups, planks etc)

Any suggestions from anybody about where to start? I admit ..... freely .... that I have always had a tougher time sticking with almost anything that isn't either my jogging exergame (of all the many possible cardio variations) or dancing / rhythmic-movement-to-music.

It has .... BEGUN ....

Yesterday, in addition to my cardio, I did a 5 minute ultra-intense HIIT program setting on my exercise bike. (5 pairs of alternating 30 second lowest-highest resistance setting) o:)

Yesterday after supper, I did a 7 minute HIIT (5 pairs of alternating 42 seconds lowest-highest resistance setting ... the bike takes care of the timing .... ) o:)o:)

This morning, I could still walk ... so I did another 7 minute HIIT program on my exercise bike (to see if it would fit into my pre-work routine timing test .... it did! o:)o:)o:)

So for now, while researching additional options to perhaps use in an evening, I will keep up a 7 (am) & 7 (pm) HIIT session 4 times a week (for starters - maybe more or less depending on how my muscles react to this as a regular instead of a "one-off".

And for me .... rhythmic-movement-to-music might turn out to be something along the lines of a YouTube playlist of suitably paced songs (like Day by Day by Doug and the Slugs) that I time my hand and/or leg resistance weight work to. If I can't find a variety of "I want to keep doing this" Youtube videos ....
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Sharing this link for a basic low calorie cauliflower soup. Once thoroughly blended (the more it's blended the creamier it is) it is very much of a creamed soup without any of the calories of a cream soup. I do add a vegetable base for flavor and a little cayenne pepper for some heat while blending, but no olive oil when serving. Really can't taste the cauliflower at all; and add-ins, once the base is complete, are unlimited. Today, I added diced ham...but other add-ins could be diced potatoes, broccoli, bacon, cheese, onion, seafood, etc. Thought I would share should anyone be interested.
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/simple_cauliflower_soup/
  • djinn924
    djinn924 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Keto flue is done ✅ now I can start enjoying my coffee 🤤 hope everyone is doing well today and remember don’t give in to the immediate gratification by accepting the lies you tell yourself.
  • Michelllecx7
    Michelllecx7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Day 6. Bit difficult at is Sonday. How ever managing to drink my water and eat healthy saying with in my calories. Some days are easy some are hard. But we need to keep going towards your goal
  • Michelllecx7
    Michelllecx7 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    djinn924 wrote: »
    While I do not advocate this for everyone depending on medical conditions, I feel fasting has really helped me on the mental aspect of dieting. By going up to 5 days without eating you truly learn what hunger is and as a result hunger between meals seems negligible by comparison . As a disabled vet (back injury) I am no stranger to hurting my self by “over doing it” in my workouts and because of that I felt “I must take a break from diet and exercise while I healed up”(Big LIES I told myself). This time around I am not going to lie to myself. My plan is keto for the most part. I am counting calories and carbs with intermittent fasting(eating within a 6 hour timeframe each day) followed by a 3 day fast at the end of each month. I know what anyone reading this is thinking (my wife shares your opinions trust me) but I have zoned in on this regimen for the last 7 years going from not being able to walk to now being able to jog for 1 mile(on a treadmill and I can’t hardly move for the next 2 days but I can do it haha). I guess what I am trying to say is although articles about weight loss are great you must want to be the best you more than the immediate gratification that candy and laziness gives you.

Discipline = Freedom
    Good luck to everyone, stay strong and don’t accept the lies you tell yourself

I agree. Some diets works for some people and not for others. I also believe in Fasting it has helped me lose weight and keep it off. After a cycling accident I stopped eating healthy and now 3 years later I am on the bus again. I have tried many different diets but fasting has helped me lose weight.
  • KCJen
    Options
    This week I have learned a lot, but also it was a rough week. Using a pass on the very first 3 days of January bummed me out. Over the weekend I stopped logging in to MFP as frequently I was doing, and took time to think and develop "Plan B's" for when I am struggling with going over my calorie range. Currently, my issue is supper, and the habit of grabbing something quick thru a drive-thru. Adjusting and developing new healthy habits take time and I needed to tell myself that this weekend. I will keep on keeping on! I am happy in the fact that this week I did manage to hit my weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds! Yay! I need to lose 80 pounds to hit my ideal healthy goal weight and if I focus on that number, it would drive me nuts. However, 2 itty bitty pounds a week is much more manageable for me, so that is my goal. Plus losing 2 pounds a week is more healthy and safe for my body.

I am so thankful for this group, and I look forward to getting to know everyone as we work to achieve our goals. If anyone would like to add me as a friend, please feel free to do so, I would like more MFP friends, but I don't want to go thru the list and add people like I was "spamming the group" if that makes sense.

Today is the start to my new week, and achieving my weekly goals! Have a great week everyone!
  • BMcC9
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @KCJen, I hope you'll accept the Friend Request I sent you over the weekend. I am pushing myself to do more "Keep it SHORT, B!!" communication via wall posts, and I would like to help / encourage you as you figure out your own strategies for mini-goal by mini-goal progress towards your ultimate goal.
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I will keep on keeping on! I am happy in the fact that this week I did manage to hit my weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds! Yay! I need to lose 80 pounds to hit my ideal healthy goal weight and if I focus on that number, it would drive me nuts. However, 2 itty bitty pounds a week is much more manageable for me, so that is my goal. Plus losing 2 pounds a week is more healthy and safe for my body.

Good attitude and approach. UAC is a long term commitment with the intent of developing good, healthy habits. It won't happen all at once; but you ARE on the right track for success! Stay with us and continue to approach your weight loss in small, manageable increments at a time. The UAC team members are all on your side.
  • KCJen
    Options
    @KCJen, I hope you'll accept the Friend Request I sent you over the weekend. I am pushing myself to do more "Keep it SHORT, B!!" communication via wall posts, and I would like to help / encourage you as you figure out your own strategies for mini-goal by mini-goal progress towards your ultimate goal.

@BMcC9 I saw it on my phone, but then when I logged on my desktop it was gone. I will send you one! Thanks!
  • KCJen
    Options
    I will keep on keeping on! I am happy in the fact that this week I did manage to hit my weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds! Yay! I need to lose 80 pounds to hit my ideal healthy goal weight and if I focus on that number, it would drive me nuts. However, 2 itty bitty pounds a week is much more manageable for me, so that is my goal. Plus losing 2 pounds a week is more healthy and safe for my body.

Good attitude and approach. UAC is a long term commitment with the intent of developing good, healthy habits. It won't happen all at once; but you ARE on the right track for success! Stay with us and continue to approach your weight loss in small, manageable increments at a time. The UAC team members are all on your side.

@w8goal4life Thank you!
  • BMcC9
    Options

@BMcC9 I saw it on my phone, but then when I logged on my desktop it was gone. I will send you one! Thanks!

I re-sent it to you - still can't accept from my end, so you have to do the "accepting"
  • BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    @KCJen, so glad to hear this. It's going to be a great week for you, for sure!!